Question about Start/Taskbar

S

SessedOut

My question is this: How come when you play the Start/Taskbar at the top of the screen, some programs tend to open in the top-left corner of the screen, underneath the Start button??

I know MAME has always done this, but it is a pain to have to move the Start bar so I can place MAME somewhere else. I have attatched a .jpg of my screen.

Thanks for any help!

hrmmm, not really sure why.. it might have to do with your resolution settings too... also, keep in mind the "default" location for the start bar is the bottom, so most progs depend on it to be there and place their windows accordingly...

While windows lets you customise things like the taskbar position, it isnt really done properly in that every single programmer has to keep it in mind when making software.

Windows could change the grid co-ordinates, but no...

That's why I leave my taskbar where it is, and my colours on defaults.

Anyway, as a possible workaround, try ZMover which is a program that let's you (among other things) define where a window will appear based on it's title.
(you will have to configure it for each window)

Let me know if it does the job -insaNity

Hey! Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to try that program, thanks for the information. I understand the reasoning behind why it happens, it makes sense. It is kind of weird, however, I just reinstalled XP due to some "maintenance", and now the only program that starts under the Start is MAME. Even the volume control "docks" at the bar. Strange!

Take care.

no problem. :)

Maybe it isn't putting the windows there because you moved it there as soon as you installed (didnt last time, right?)

and some programs/windows has at least SOME sense to check before the first run...something like that.

hmm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back