Question about speed and getting 2 ips.

P

psx2000

I currently run on 1 IP. I wanted to purchase maybe another 2 IPS from my CABLE provider.

I wanted to be able to run 2 PCs at the same time connected to the internet by using a switch.

Now my question is ,

say both comptuers are on and constantly doing things. Does my bandwidth get cut in half now that i have 2 computers using the internet?

Or does my provider give me the same amount of bandwidth for both ips.

Example say right now my current DL SPEED = 300 KBS

If i get 2 ips will both comps dling at the same time get 300kbs each or

150 KBS each and half the 300 kbs?

Thank You.

Nope, your speed will be cut in half, but only when both are accessing at the same time. Why not just buy a router instead of a switch to share the connection and avoid paying for the second IP?

What j79zlr said, but there are some advantages to 2 ip's even if your bandwidth is halved.

Gaming on both systems at the same time will be problematic (that means a pain in the ass or impossible) when using a router. This applies to many sites and with many games.

Some non game app's will have problems too (netmeeting for one) from behind a router.

Depends on what they hit you for for the second IP.

I did read an article about connection teaming. With cable, you are able to boost you bandwidth if you have two IPs on different subnets. I don't have a URL right, but I'm sure you can google it.

Originally posted by vern
With cable, you are able to boost you bandwidth if you have two IPs on different subnets.
That sounds very strange. The ISP provides a certain bandwidth (on cable usually limited in the cable modem). If you get two IP:s they may choose to increase your bandwidth or not (on cable, probably not). So no matter what subnet your computers are on, the bandwidth stays the same. It's all in a different OSI layer afaik.

Originally posted by Zedric
That sounds very strange. The ISP provides a certain bandwidth (on cable usually limited in the cable modem). If you get two IP:s they may choose to increase your bandwidth or not (on cable, probably not). So no matter what subnet your computers are on, the bandwidth stays the same. It's all in a different OSI layer afaik.

Yup, it does ... but some people seem to have had success. I've never tried it myself, so I couldn't verify that. They say it works when your two IPs are on different subnets ... but not on the same subnet. You can google it and find many results that talk about connection teaming.

If you had 2 seperate connections, you can do line balancing with a dual WAN router. This uses both connections simultaneously. I don't think you can squeeze more bandwith out of a single connection with 2 IPs.

you could always ask the cable company.

but is it 2 IPs and 2 Modems? or 2 IPs and 1 modem?

2 IPs, 2 different subnets, 1 modem I believe.

I'm too lazy to Google. :p

But I still don't believe it, not by just getting another IP on a connection that is otherwise the same. It just makes no sense. Prove me wrong if you wish. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back