question about mapping drives at startup

B

bytezboy

Hi, I have 3 computers connected to a router with a built in switch. On this one pc with Win2K Pro installed, I mapped all the drives from the other 2 computers.

My question is how can I force Win2K Pro not to display that popup screen when Windows starts about not being able to restore network connection blah blah blah when the other computer(s) are not turned on. I already click on 'stop restoring connection in future and do not display this message again" checkboxes on the popup dialog box.

I just want to boot to Windows without me having to hit YES everytime to "restore in the future or some sort of similar message". Want it to boot to Windows without any interruptions. On my winXP Pro machine which I mapped some drives from the other computer, it doesn't display this annoying message when the computer whom I mapped the drives to is not on. I hope you guys know what I mean, thanks in advance.

In windows 98 there was a value called RestoreDiskChecked under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network in the registry. 0 = disable the warning msg, 1 = enable the warning msg. That value might still be present in the win2k registry, might as well check for it :)

Always worth learning little things like these :)

I used to just put up with the warning message... didnt realise you could get rid of it.

I'd like to know too. Some of my drives want a password after each reboot. It seems to be different depending if you logged into the share before mapping it or not the first time.

I have to type a password every time I reboot also on the computer where I mapped the drives, isn't there a save password feature? I have posted earlier about going to a mapped drive without entering a password.

Create a batch script and place it in your All Users startup. It should be like this...

@echo off
net use x: \\server1\share1 /persistent:no > NUL
net use y: \\server2\share2 /persistent:no > NUL

This script will map drives x and y to the perspective shares. It will make them non-persistent meaning that they will not try to reconnect next time (although they will because of the script). The "> NUL" passes any errors or messages to a NULL meaning that they will not be shown. Hope that helps a little.

What about user/pass? Because the mappings are kept, just not the logins.

net use x: \\server\share /user:username password /persistent:no

Just keep in mind that this will save your password in that file...

Just a thought.
Why don't you make a new hardware profile, that doesn't have your network connected. That way it will give you another boot option. Works with notebooks, can't see why it shouldn't work with pc's.

ejm

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
@echo off
net use x: \\server1\share1 /persistent:no > NUL
net use y: \\server2\share2 /persistent:no > NUL

Yeh what he said. Only problem is if the connection isn't avilable or the computer you are connecting to has a problem the script will pause on each line for a couple of seconds.:mad:

The option DOES exist

I had the same issue ages ago. There is a registry hack to enable Quick logon in win2k... but it is a tough one to find!

I found it for a win2k install like 2 months ago, then the same stupid computer broke down, and I can't find it.

the win9x key is "RestoreDiskChecked", you can google it to find info.

There is still hope.

If you happen to find it first, please let me know. If I do, I'll tell you.

Im using a Bugmenot! account, cause I didn't feel like registering. Please send any news to tincho@mailinator.com.

Thanks!

Martin,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back