Question about Java 1.4.2, Swing, and MSStyle files...

JSylvia007

OSNN Junior Addict
I have a question pertaining to Java... I'm new to Swing, and javax, and all that, but i've been programming in java for about a year. I searched the web, but cant seem to find anyone who might have any insight to this problem.

I'm teaching myself swing, and decided that I would mess around with UIManage, to change the look of my application. Very Simple application, like i said, i'm only using it to learn swing... I can get the MetalLookAndFeel, and MotifLookAndFeel to work, but i can't seem to get the WindowsLookAndFeel to work correctly. You see, I'm using a "hacked" msstyles file. I created the theme using StyleBuilder, and windows accepts it fine, using the uxtheme patch found here on ntfs.org. When i tell my java application to use the WindowsLookAndFeel, it yells, and I get a dialog box that opens up and has the title "java.exe".

java_error.jpg

Which I find strance since windows uses this file perfectly. So since that seemed to be a problem, I temporarily changed my theme back to the windows Luna default theme. My program worked without a hickup.

My question is... Why won't it use my MSStyles file if windows will? and where might I go to ask this question to Java Guru's?

my source code is available if you'd like to see what I did

~Jake

there might be a way to give the application a uxtheme.dll file which it is supposed to use for its own uses, but I dont really know how you would go about that as the most Java messing I have done is the stuff on my course which currently is all console based.

Ok... well... i've switched over to the other LookAndFeels, like Metal and Motif, and both of those work.. But I'd really like to use the WindowsLookAndFeel. If youd like i can post a link to my Java file, and MSStyles file and anything else you might like to see... The only thing I can think of is that you can add a custom theme file and description for it's features, but i dont know how to do that, if anyone does, it would be appreciated.

~Jake

I mean your windows skin. like your desktop skin. your visual stlye. its may be improperly coded and java may not like it. I say quickly change your vs and see if windowslookandfeel works then. if not, we'll get to the harder stuff.

Ohhh.. yea... if i change to the windows default Skin (Luna - Blue), it works without a hitch... :-D

Some background on my skin, it's just a hacked Luna.msstyles, the only difference is that i changed the colors of the "bmp" files that make the skin.

~Jake

strange problems, but then again it is after all a hacked skin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back