Question About Hard Drive Size + Windows Xp

P

psx2000

What is the biggest size Hard Drive that windows Xp detects?

My friend said if i i buy a 200 gig MAXTOR only 130 gigs will sow up cause windows caps at 120 gigs.

is this true?

Why would they make 200gig hard drives if windows won't see it? If it caps at 120 why would it see 130? My 2c. :confused:

Well you could use the drive in a LINUX o.s.

But yea i had the same thoughts you did. I thought my friend was crazy.

Ummm, I think they have labelled the 1800jb one wrong, isnt the 1800jb a 180gb hdd?

yeah, the WD1800JB is the 180gb model. make sure they realize this before you order it, though!

Windows XP has a limit on hard drive sizes (goes up to 120 GB). However, Windows XP SP1 doesn't have that limit. A friend of mine has 200 GB on his computer and his XP SP1 can detect it all fine.

they both have the same config an features ...but why such a drastic price difference

Just as I said, and as taurus confirmed, the 1800JB model is a 180gb hard drive, which has obviously been written wrongly as 120gb. That's why the big price difference dayle.

UDMA100 controllers have a capped size of 137 GB due to it's addressing range. In UDMA133 controllers this has been fixed so it can sustain larger drives (don't know how big, but very big).

Anyone know the limit that Win2k has for hard drive sizes? Has it been fixed up in SP3 like SP1 fixed up WinXP?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back