Question about firewall software

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I have always been using Kerio Personal Firewall Ver2.1.4 since a good three/four years ago. I have never really tried anything else. I have always thought that firewall software is basic and never really needs to have the latest, greatest version, unlike SP2 and antivirus software. Am I wrong in thinking like this? Should I be up to date on any new firewall software available like I am on Windows patches and such?

The reason I am asking is that I have removed my FTP server from behind my router through the DMZ zone now, due to the incredible amount of connecting problems my family has been having since I was forced to change FTP access ports on my router.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

I swear by NPF or NIS, very easy to use, some like it some don't, my tip is NIS 2004:)

Lee said:
I swear by NPF or NIS, very easy to use, some like it some don't, my tip is NIS 2004:)
Norton is a PC Crasher lol .. Yeah some like and some don't. This is why I like McAfee. It don't kill your system like norton does .. McAfee Personal Firewall Plus is a sweet program. As well as Antivirus 8.0i Enterprise ..

Thanks, Guys.

But that is not what I am asking. I am trying to find out if a software firewall needs to be updated like a Windows update or a virus signature update, or if a software firewall is always gonna be good, no matter how old it is. I'd rather keep my freeware Kerio PFVer2.1.4 if it hasn't grown long in the tooth and people have found ways around it.

Heeter

well they are on Kerio Personal Firewall 4 at the Kerio website and with programs for security it is always best to update to the newest version in case there were flaws with previous versions or just enhancements to the program itself

plus since kerio personal is free why not jsut update...it won't hurt you

Kerio 2.x hasn't been updated since about a year. If you see this comparison table, you'll notice that even the free version of 4.x is quite an improvement over 2.x

Besides, if you check the changelogs for KPF, they're always fixing issues and adding better security features, even between minor releases (for example, 4.1.0 -> 4.1.1). If you're happy with Kerio and don't want to move to anything else, I'd still suggest updating to the latest 4.x build.

Johnny said:
Norton is a PC Crasher lol .. Yeah some like and some don't. This is why I like McAfee. It don't kill your system like norton does .. McAfee Personal Firewall Plus is a sweet program. As well as Antivirus 8.0i Enterprise ..
Norton aint ever crashed my PC it works fine tyvm!:eek:

Thanks a million, Nets, Guys.

I remember reading somewhere that Kerio was not free anymore, that is why I never bothered to go to their website and see. I thought that it was pretty much it for freeware firewalls.

Thanks again.

Heeter

Lee said:
Norton aint ever crashed my PC it works fine tyvm!:eek:
I bet it is slow to boot up, slow to open prgrams, laggs in the resource department as well ... I have never used a program that was such a pain in my life. It uses so many resources and slows everything down so bad that it is unbareble. Not to mention at times when you want to remove it you have to do a system reformat. Some it works for, but have them "Some" actually tried something else to see a diff ??

Sorry if it looks like I am trying to start an argument here. I am truly not, I am just stating my opinion on norton. It should only be taken as that.

Heeter - It is always good to update your firewall. It keeps it current with the changes and advances in which people find new ways to break the door down.

Well Johnny, no-one is arguing, never noticed much difference, I would say it may have bene true for version 2003 exp. AV solution, not much diference that i have noticed with v2004.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back