Question about domain names

MC82

Procrastinator
Hey Guys, I was wondering if it was possible for me to buy another domain name and have it directed to a specific page of a website not owned by myself?

As an example:
I buy www.DomainName.com and would like it to be directed to www.somewebsite.com/folder1/page1.htm (this page would not be mine).

Is this possible? I know I could redirect a page by using HTML code.

Also, when a person uses my domain name, will the address bar show it as my domain name or the actual websites domain name? I think it is called masking...

Any help would be great. Thanks.

VenomXT - Basically, I am using a seperate website for a blog of mine. I would like to give some friends the webaddress, but the name is way to long, so for that reason I want to buy a new domain name and redirect/park it at that blog. I then need it masked because I have realized from my other blogs that people keep copy and pasting out of the address bar and not the webaddress i give them, so it will be hard for others to remember the address.

Hope that makes some sorta sense, lol... its kinda early on a monday morning for me to be typing correctly.

Speedy - Thanks for the reply, so from my understanding, I would have to put the domain name on my own server, then find a way to mask the address later on. Sorry for the many questions, I just dont want to buy a domain name and not have able to work properly.

Right now my hosting says I can only "host one domain per account". Would this be a problem?

Last edited:
Domain names are usually either put onto your own web-space, or the domain seller will allow for the masked forwarding straight from their servers, that's the case with ukreg.com who I have most of my domains through (there are cheaper out there, just using them as an example :)) they offer a simple control panel which has a text box asking where you want the domain to point at... in which, any web address can be entered. I would imagine other domain retailers to offer the same.

Ahhh, thank you so much, that helped a bunch, I just checked on godaddy and saw that they do have masking available. Once again, thanks alot Speedy.

Right now my hosting says I can only "host one domain per account". Would this be a problem?

Time to consider a change to hosting services. I recently fixed up a customer in the same manner that you are looking to do. He bought a second domain and both point to one site. The first one is www.insiciliancompany.com and the second is www.incompagniasiciliana.com and then both end up at the same location

it means they will only host one domain on their servers. you can use an external third party with frame redirect or you can use a different hosting company.

I'm going to blow my own horn here and mention that I currently offer webhosting at the site in my signature. For a better overview (though incomplete at this stage) you might want to check http://digital-euphoria.net/test/ instead of http://digital-euphoria.net

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back