Question about Cable Modems and buying one.

P

psx2000

Ok my service provider in Hawaii is TIME WARNER.

We have cable service (road runner) and it comes with a free surfboard modem.

Latley I noticed the local stores selling cable modems etc and was curious......

Are they any advantages to owning your own cable modem?
Are all cable modems the same ?
Do you get better speeds or connections by buying a certain brand? Basiclly should if i buy a cable modem is it any better then sticking with the free one?

no
no
and no

stick with the free one, unless your running servers and such, but this is only my opinion

cool.gif

It really does not matter. Go with the free one. I have a free one, it's been up for like 6 months now, no problems with it.

Ok thanks for the info. I dont get why folks buy there own cable modems ....

I honestly tought maybe it would help the speed a tad or connection.

Thanks for the help.

Sure thing. I would get my own modem if the cable company didn't supply one, or if I wanted to do a mod on it.

Put heatsinks on the chips, a fan, and perhaps lighting :)
I would want a smaller/sleeker/or maybe larger modem then the one supplied, do to these things.

Just an idea :)

Go with the cable co. They will replace their own stuff if it goes bad, and you know technology, it may just go bad. Mine did twice in 3 years.

I was given the option of renting it from the cable company or buying it.
I decided to buy it (a Toshiba PCX1100U) since I'm never planning to go back to 56k again :p, and it turns out to be more cost-effective than paying a monthly fee.

But since you're getting it free, stick to it. I don't see any advantage in buying one.

a lot of cable providers charge you a monthly modem rental like mine. in that case it can be a good idea to buy your own and save money in the long run.

but when you have your own modem, your provider will probably blame it on that if you ever call with service issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back