Question about Active Desktop

breezie

OSNN Addict
Is it possible to make the active desktop background transparent? I've tried using scripts that make the html file transparent and even went so far as to make a bg that uses a transparent GIF image but it seems like its two layers (the color you set your background color under display settings two).

The only way to achieve it is to set the background of the active desktop to the image you're using as your wallpaper, but that either requires a full active desktop, or a lot of messing about with positioning etc.

that wouldnt fix the weird colored shadows i get over my icons though =\

Can we see a screenshot please? Just to see what your talking about.

There isn't a known way to solve the icon problem. One way to get around it is by creating images of your icons and using hyperlinks to access them.

here's a screenshot of what i mean - does the same thing if i make html file with transparent background too.

yea i didnt think there was a way and making html icons is a bit too tedious for me and wont give me the same result i wanted- hehe

Attachments

• same.jpg
    same.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 146
I can't be that tedious. :p

Just take a screen cap by pressing Print Screen, open up Paint, Photoshop, other graphics program, crop them.

Then just make the hyperlinks.

get Y'z Dock, add ur icons, make it fully transparent, set the size right, set it to no zoom and u're set

thebear, that's not what he is trying to accomplish.

SB is right, there is no way to make the background transparent. NR and o_87 have the right idea, that would be your best bet.

Signed... the active desktop god.

hehe but i like my icons- right clicking them and moving around- with them as Hyperlink images- i lose that don't i?

Yes, you cannot "drag and drop" them if they are hyper links.

You would also lose the context-sensitive right click menu for icons like My Computer or the Recycle Bin.

Good point; you would have an IE context menu for the desktop unless you used a JavaScript that disables right clicks.

NetRyder said:
You would also lose the context-sensitive right click menu for icons like My Computer or the Recycle Bin.
Not necessarily, you could script them (context items) back in if you had the time...like I once did. :)

*edit my first post since re-registering and I already had a typo. :mad:

It is too bad you gave up on active desktop, your creations beat mine by a long shot.

madmatt said:
It is too bad you gave up on active desktop, your creations beat mine by a long shot.

Hey, all my stuff was built on your tutorial. Who knows, I may dabble in it again in the near future...if you persist in adding updates and reveal more of your unsolved AD secrets. ;)

madmatt said:
thebear, that's not what he is trying to accomplish.

SB is right, there is no way to make the background transparent. NR and o_87 have the right idea, that would be your best bet.

Signed... the active desktop god.

you're right, thats not exaclty what he wants to do - but it will do the exact same thing

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back