Question about Active Desktop

breezie

OSNN Addict
Is it possible to make the active desktop background transparent? I've tried using scripts that make the html file transparent and even went so far as to make a bg that uses a transparent GIF image but it seems like its two layers (the color you set your background color under display settings two).

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
The only way to achieve it is to set the background of the active desktop to the image you're using as your wallpaper, but that either requires a full active desktop, or a lot of messing about with positioning etc.

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
There isn't a known way to solve the icon problem. One way to get around it is by creating images of your icons and using hyperlinks to access them.

breezie

OSNN Addict
here's a screenshot of what i mean - does the same thing if i make html file with transparent background too.

yea i didnt think there was a way and making html icons is a bit too tedious for me and wont give me the same result i wanted- hehe

Attachments

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
I can't be that tedious. :p

Just take a screen cap by pressing Print Screen, open up Paint, Photoshop, other graphics program, crop them.

Then just make the hyperlinks.

get Y'z Dock, add ur icons, make it fully transparent, set the size right, set it to no zoom and u're set

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
thebear, that's not what he is trying to accomplish.

SB is right, there is no way to make the background transparent. NR and o_87 have the right idea, that would be your best bet.

Signed... the active desktop god.

breezie

OSNN Addict
hehe but i like my icons- right clicking them and moving around- with them as Hyperlink images- i lose that don't i?

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Good point; you would have an IE context menu for the desktop unless you used a JavaScript that disables right clicks.

Lighter

. . . . . . . . .
NetRyder said:
You would also lose the context-sensitive right click menu for icons like My Computer or the Recycle Bin.
Not necessarily, you could script them (context items) back in if you had the time...like I once did. :)

*edit my first post since re-registering and I already had a typo. :mad:

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
It is too bad you gave up on active desktop, your creations beat mine by a long shot.

Lighter

. . . . . . . . .
madmatt said:
It is too bad you gave up on active desktop, your creations beat mine by a long shot.
Hey, all my stuff was built on your tutorial. Who knows, I may dabble in it again in the near future...if you persist in adding updates and reveal more of your unsolved AD secrets. ;)

madmatt said:
thebear, that's not what he is trying to accomplish.

SB is right, there is no way to make the background transparent. NR and o_87 have the right idea, that would be your best bet.

Signed... the active desktop god.
you're right, thats not exaclty what he wants to do - but it will do the exact same thing

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samhicks