Quantum Fireball harddrive problem

K

Kryptonic

Hi

Just recently, i have been having problems with my Quantum Fireball lct20 HDD. Every now and again, during boot-up (just before winxp loads) i get this error:

Disk Read Error (alt+ctrl+del to restart)

after restarting the drive seems to be working ok...

I downloaded a program called PowerDiag from the Maxtor website that tests the harddrive, all tests on the HDD passed, so what could the problem be... just before this staring happending i did the following to the PC

- Bought a GF3 ti200
- Overclocked the 1.2ghz -> 1.3ghz
- reinstalled Windows XP

any ideas y im getting this error???

Regards

Will

Personally I think those HD diagnose programs are BS...they can detect problems a few times but not most...I had a WD 40gb less then a week old go completely fail...but everytime I ran harddrive test programs they said fine...and every bootup as the drive was failing my SMART monitor still told me it was fine...dumb SMART monitor :p

I know a few people having that problem though where the drive doesn't seem to spin up and you get a disk read error, or you just get a solid black screen...do you hear the driving spinning up? if so and you still get read errors you might want to look into getting a new drive

no, i just get an error as it is about to boot. strange thing is, it doesnt always happen, only occasionaly, but it normally happens when the PC is turn on in the morning or when i get from work....

i had this error with my maxtor drive i had to do a low level format and it solved the problem, my error kept getting more frequent until windows wouldnt boot..

--Nick--

yey! it seems like the Low Level Format has worked, i dont know why or who, but touch wood, everything is working ok now. thx for the advise...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back