Quake II - 1280 x 1024

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Any idea how to run Quake II in 1280 x 1024 resoltion? All I get is 1280 x 720 (or something similar).

Reps for any help :)

not really a game can only run in the resolutions it was designed for.

cant you run your lcd in 1028x768?

If he wants 1280x1024, then it's likely to be a 17" or larger "square" LCD, which run in the stupid ratio of 5:4, rather than 4:3 (which is what 1024x768, and most other resolutions are).

Having looked about, it appears though running Q2 in any other resolutions than those already in the game requires re-compiling the game from source, adding the resolutions you require.

Lancer, plenty of games allow for specifying of custom resolutions, to allow for future larger screens and ratios (such as widescreen). There used to be a great resource for Widescreen gaming, however it appears their domain is now just one giant advert... guess they died.

not really a game can only run in the resolutions it was designed for.

I was hoping there'd be some sort of command line or 3rd party application that will allow it, but I've not found anything so far. I know it can be done sometimes though, as in fact Speedy B found me a link to a file that allowed the 1280 x 1024 resolution in Morrowind, which it doesn't support "out of the box". Sadly though, it doesn't appear that the same is true of Quake II.

I don't mind running it in 1280 x 720 or whatever it is, but as my monitor wasn't designed for that resolution it's nowhere near as sharp as it could be.

Oh well, I'll just play Quake 4 for a bit longer :) Thanks for the help anyway!

Its a great game, but I prefer Quake 4 anyway

:D

Try the attached file, it should give you some new options in your video menu (also you may need to install the final Q2 patch from ID, if it doesn't work). :)

Attachments

• q2_widescreen.zip
    184.9 KB · Views: 410
speedy you opened my eyes, although admittedly i have never needed any other resolution than the one the gaes provided.

Being an early adopter of widescreen, and fan of earlier games, I had to find solutions for custom resolutions, most just let you edit a simple config or ini file, and all is well, some (as seen here) take a little more jiggery :D

I have been using q2_widescreen with XP and it works excellent:). However, under VISTA I no longer have crosshairs. If I select angle then I have a very, very small red dot. The original Q2 exe works under VISTA correctly showing the crosshair but then the video is not that great:cry:. Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back