Quake 3 ping?

LazyJames

OSNN Addict
Ok, all of a sudden my ping went from about 30-90 in quake 3 to over 300 :mad: and it wont go down. It had been running fine until today, i am thinking its the isp because i checked all settings and nothing has changed. But i could be wrong so i thought i would ask you guys, any ideas?

I am running XP Pro with a cable modem

Are you sure you weren't maxing out your download or upload bandwidth? If so, maybe if/when this happens again try doing a traceroute to the IP of the Quake server. Theres a few decent trace route programs out there, try google. You can also do one by using the command prompt, its not as pretty but it does the job. For example, type: tracert 66.432.345.12

servers are constantly doing updates , you may want to wait about a week and see if your ping comes back, also, ck tracert first, this will tell you where the bad hop is, and you can also check to see if maintennce in being done on one of your hops

download.jpg

What exactly does a tracerouter do? Does it help keep lower ur ping? Cause I kinda have same problem with Unreal Tournament

ping plotter and tracert shows # of hops and location of hops from your computer to specified ip address, this is very helpful to find out if problem in your game config or internet connection. i use this whenever i have poor ping to determine location of bad hop, then can contact ip to ask valuable questions about why i am being sent thru this hop.and yes it will work on any ip, but does not improve connection unless you do something about it by calling your ip

thanks for the help guys, not sure what the problem was but it fixed itself, so i would say it was the isp having issues. but thanks anyway

Ok, all of a sudden my ping went from about 30-90 in quake 3 to over 300 :mad: and it wont go down. It had been running fine until today, i am thinking its the isp because i checked all settings and nothing has changed. But i could be wrong so i thought i would ask you guys, any ideas?

I am running XP Pro with a cable modem

I will help you.
Ping varies wildly from game-to-game.
I would suggest you to keep the following instructions while playing online game.
1.Don't open any videos,stream and check if there any problem in your router.
2.Make sure there's no browser .exe's still running in task manager
3.Try to contact your internet service provider and get suitable data plan.
4.Move closer to server
I am sure,if you follow the rules,you will get chance to reduce your ping rate.Finally you can check whether it's your ping is reduced or not using Whoisxy.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back