QoS Does NOT Slow Bandwidth

I

Infinity7

At the Microsoft website in the Knowledge Base in article Q316666 they say the following about the QoS packet scheduler:

Correcting Some Incorrect Claims About Windows XP QoS Support

There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in End Computers That Are Running Windows XP" section of this article correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

Clarification about QoS in End Computers That Are Running Windows XP

As in Windows 2000, programs can leverage QoS through the QoS application programming interfaces (APIs) in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending enough data to utilize it completely, the unused portion of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

I guess that special tweak that "only XP Pro users can do" is not really doing anything at all.

Infinity7

Tweaking the bandwidth reservation actually increased my internet speed, but it usually depends on the internet congestion.

Darksiege.

If you noticed any difference it is just luck. QoS does NOT change your speed. Never will unless you are on a 100% QoS aware network, which unless your in a office building right now using some QoS apps that NEED a certain amt of bandwidth reserved you aren't.

When people saw this post it made sense and they had the placebo effect...they thought it did something so they believed it did...kind of like how in drug tests some people get the real pill...some get the sugar pill...yet some people on the sugar pill says it helped them...it didn't help them, they just thought it helped them and you know the old saying, mind over matter :)

They are right QoS does not increase bandwith. Why?? Because by default 1. QoS is not installed, and 2. QoS reserves bandwith to programs that use a QoS scheduler which many programs well 99% of programs do not use that anyway.

The only thing that will increase speeds some is the MTU tweaks and RWIN tweaks that you can get from www.speedguide.net

qos IS installed by default, however, as the previous posts tell you, it does not take your bandwidTH...ON THE OTHER HAND...it does start on boot, and there's no reasin for this, THEREFORE, even if you have xp home, just go to your services and either dissable it, or set it to manual.....(of course you can uninstall it, but that'll serve no purpose) period, that's the end...

Indeed by default in PRO QoS is active and installed. If one does the gpedit.msc in start>run and get into QoS it (as it MS) included that it DOES use 20% whether you like it or not.

You have to leave it installed, enable it and change the value to ZERO percent. My ping rate and web page to page has gone up greatly since this.

Also make sure you review this entire board (not the forum) for "how to use XP" and remove services that are not used at home. You WILL see speed, then!

--Rich

this previous post is so not true, qos does not use any of your bandwith

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back