Puzzled.

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
Today I picked up a PowerColor/ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB ( http://www.power-color.com/r92le-c3s.htm ).
My previous card was an ATI Radeon 32MB DDR 7200 and as far as I know, it ran at 4X AGP just fine. Anyways, to get to the point, my video crashes in Quake 3 Arena when set at 4X AGP.
I lowered it to 2X AGP and it hasn't crashed (so far) when set at 2X AGP.
My motherboard is a K7SEM ( http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7sem_v3.html ) and is supposed to support up to 4X AGP.
I uninstalled the old drivers and installed new the drivers etc like they should be done (I used Driver Cleaner as well).
I'm running the latest ATI Catalyst Drivers on WinXP SP1. Resolution set at 1024x768 @ 72 Hertz on a Samsung Syncmaster 750s.

Here's a hardware report of my system using Aida32: http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/lancej/Report.htm

Any ideas what the problem may be? Card over heating?

Did just the game crash or the whole PC? If the whole PC it could be a power problem or a heat problem but that's unlikely with a 9200 based card they don't use that much power.

Also, the latest driver is not always the best. 4.2 sucks. 4.1 was the best I saw. I think 4.3 is ok too, but it is too recent to be sure.

Turn off AGP fast writes in bios if it is turned on.

What are your CPU and MB temp right after you have been gaming (or better yet right after you crash)?

LeeJend said:
Did just the game crash or the whole PC? If the whole PC it could be a power problem or a heat problem but that's unlikely with a 9200 based card they don't use that much power.

Also, the latest driver is not always the best. 4.2 sucks. 4.1 was the best I saw. I think 4.3 is ok too, but it is too recent to be sure.

Turn off AGP fast writes in bios if it is turned on.

What are your CPU and MB temp right after you have been gaming (or better yet right after you crash)?

As far as I can tell, just the game. My monitor acts like theres no video though. Sometimes I'm able to ALT+Enter out and graphics come back on and I'm back at my desktop and the Q3 console shows some Opengl error. When this happens I get the message related to VPU recovery. I've tried it with the VPU turned off and I end up hitting the restart button because I'm un able to get anything at all.

I'm downloading the 4.1 drivers right now and will try them after work.

As far as the temps go, I have no idea what they were running at during the time of the crash since most of the time I have to hit the restart button. Here's what my sensors currently show:
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8705F
Sensor Access ISA 290h
Motherboard Name ECS K7SEM / K7SOM

Temperatures
Motherboard 54 °C (129 °F)
CPU 30 °C (86 °F)
Aux 44 °C (111 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 5114 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.76 V
+2.5 V 2.45 V
+3.3 V 3.28 V
+5 V 4.84 V
+12 V 11.90 V
+5 V Standby 4.97 V
VBAT Battery 3.30 V

As for fast writes, I have no option in my Bios regarding that. I do however have an option in my display properties/ATI Control panel, it's been turned off by default.

This is just odd since my old 7200 Radeon ran fine (other than being lower FPS).

PS, I also reinstalled Q3A.

My first guess is that it may be over heating. There's no fan on this card (like there is on my 32MB Radeon) and the temp sensor on my motherboard looks a bit warm. When Q3 crashes, the monitor turns off like it does when I have it set to turn off after 60 mins of inactivity and when/if the VPU Recovery kicks in, there's some screen garble when I mess around in the ATI Control Panel. Then I reboot and all is fine until I run Q3 again. I tried playing the kid's Sims game and it ran perfect at 4X AGP. Sims run DirectX or something? Is OpenGL more demanding on a video card?

The MB temps looks bogus with a CPU temp of 30. My ECS board does not read board temps. It seems to be random numbers. Check the temperatures as soon as it crashes and you reboot. They will be pretty close to what they were pre-crash.

Your voltages are all running on the low side. What is your power supply rating?

Nameplate Watts and Max Watts for +5V and +3.3V combined.
amps at +5V
amps at +3.3V
amps at +12V

These will be on the label somewhere.

The 9200 and the 9600 don't need fans. They actually run cool.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back