Putting Together a Laptop fit for DJ'ing

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Over the next few days I'm going to put together some specs on a higher end laptop for a DJ, who wants to upgrade his current setup.

I have a few ideas for the systems I may try to go with, but while I research that does anyone actually do this professionally? What type of software/hardware should I look for?

Dave, I would guess by your avatars in the past you have given it a run?

Anything current will do. I've seen live P.A's performed on an old Pentium M, one thing to be careful with is the HDD. Noise = Vibrations = Not good for the disk, I've seen laptops fly off stages before, so one with motion sensing to lock the drive in the even that movement/vibes get too strong is a huge plus point.

As for the spec, anything Core2Duo at the moment will be fine, chuck a load of ram in and you're set :)

Dave is a nub that still use vinyl.
Get a haircut hippie.

Tho you gotta love that hiss.

Anything current will do. I've seen live P.A's performed on an old Pentium M, one thing to be careful with is the HDD. Noise = Vibrations = Not good for the disk, I've seen laptops fly off stages before, so one with motion sensing to lock the drive in the even that movement/vibes get too strong is a huge plus point.

As for the spec, anything Core2Duo at the moment will be fine, chuck a load of ram in and you're set :)
Pretty much along the lines for what I was thinking, and the motion sensing is a great idea.

Recommendations for software?

I've heard good things about Traktor.

Virtual DJ is good also, though I think you'd need a second sound card (external) - allowing you to prepare on one while the other blasts out the current mix.

Surely if this is an upgrade, he already has software he'll be using?

There's no such thing as best when it comes to this sort of stuff, it's pure preference :)

No laptop and software in place atm, currently using 2 Numark HDCD1s which are having stability issues.
Haven't had much time to look into this stuff yet, hopefully later today or over the weekend.

Ah. Well there's a few to choose from, and it also depends if you want a hardware interface or not. Definitely a preference thing though, worth getting some trials and giving them a test run. :)

I would assume the best way to go with is hardware interface, need to have a sit down and really get to know what he currently has and what direction he wants to go.

I would assume the best way to go with is hardware interface, need to have a sit down and really get to know what he currently has and what direction he wants to go.
I'm thinking you have to have both

Interesting rugged possibilities, kinda fugly though, Also the specs aren't really all that impressive :eek:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...1&modelNo=Toughbook-29&surfModel=Toughbook-29

http://www.gd-computing.com/index.cfm?page=Products:XR-1
fugly is cute when it comes to dj, rugged is the way to go if it's possible but you need better specs , right now there is no reason to settle for a single core and I expect two processors are going to be very handy if you're multitasking at a gig

get the rugged but make someone build it with what you want, most manufacturers let you customize any line they have so give that a go

Seem to have settled on this one...

Lenovo ThinkPad T60p Mobile Workstation

· Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7600 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2, 667MHz FSB)
· Windows XP Professional 15.0 SXGA+ TFT Flexview Display with Wide Viewing Angle
· ATI Mobility Fire GL V5250 256MB
· 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
· 100 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
· DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim
· Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
· 9 cell Li-Ion Battery
· 1 Year Limited Warranty
· Integrated WiFi wireless LAN Integrated Wi-Fi Wireless a/b/g
· Warranty service upgrade; 3 year onsite repair 9x5/next business day

Has these two types of protection

· Active Protection System - The Active Protection System features an integrated motion sensor that continuously monitors your notebook, providing up to four times greater impact protection than systems without this feature. Using technology similar to that which controls automobile airbags, the system can detect sudden changes in motion and temporarily stop the hard drive to help protect data from some crashes which may occur in everyday notebook accidents. It also can automatically adjust sensitivity levels when repetitive motion is detected.
· Shock-Mounted Hard Drive - The ThinkPad® Shock-Mounted Hard Drive protects hard drives from sudden impact. The hard drive is mounted in rubber rails to enhance durability and reduces shock to the hard drive from any direction.

A bit pricey, but I think it will get the job done for what the guy wants

Oh it will, but yes its pricey, tis why i wont buy ibm=Lenovo

Solid piece of equipment really, the APS and SMH are great additions, and I did offer some price points with slightly lower CPU and RAM specifications.

Once I settle on that, next is software and external hardware.

Need to find out more about what is already in use, if anything

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back