Putting in CPU

Teddy

Boogie Nights...!
Hi all!!

Tonight im gonna change my 1700+ to the spanking new 2400+ i've got here sitting in a box.

One question...i remember when i installed my current CPU/HSF there was some pink grease like substance on the bottom of the HSF that lined up with the middle of the CPU when attached. This is the thermal paste right? Do i need more of this or will the same HSF sit happily on my new CPU without it frying?!

many thanks for some quick replies!!

That "pink" stuff would be thermal tape which doesn't work for anything get a razor blade and take it off and go buy some thermal grease not tape, it will make the cpu run alot cooler then with tape or nothing.

Im not really into OC'ing CPUs, i just want it in the machine and working. I run at a good temp at the mo and this 2400+ is a Thoroughbred so should run just as cool (if not cooler). Thanks for the reply but all i need to know is if the thermal tape is good to use again (again in the sense that i will be removing the HSF then using it on the new CPU)?

thanks again.

Is that old heat sink big enough for the new CPU ?? I would think about getting a large heat sink and no that old tape/grease was fried and dried when it was installed on the old cpu you need to clean that off and use new grease ...or get a new heat sink and it will have some tape/grease with it ....

no you should not use it again and using thermal grease doesn't = overclocker mean u care more about your parts and want them to last longer heat is bad period doesn't matter if u leave it stock or overclock it the more heat it makes and can't get rid of the shorter the cpu's life span will be. sides it cost like 3 bucks.

Thanks Kermit and Krux...i will heed you advice and get a new heatsink AND thermal paste! I must try and be patient here!! Luckily I had to go out so didnt have time to do it!

What heatsink would people recommend for an XP 2400+ (not too costly please!)?

Also, where can i get thermal paste in the UK?

Thanks all.

get a volcano 9 about 25 bucks has a viable fan controler so that the fan will ony go as fast as it needs to ie: your computer is just sitting in windows the fan will go into quite mode and as soon as u fire up a game it will crank it up.

Teddy go to Maplins (I live in the UK too) they stock the most fans in a shop really and are reasnobly priced, ask for that Heatsink and they should have it, if not ask for what they recommend, they all come with Thermal Paste, but you mite want to splash out and buy some decent paste for bout £5 ;)

Think the decent paste is called silver mountain or somit?

Skazz

Thanks skazzyuk, i'll do that. I have a Maplins about 15 minutes away from me.

Cheers. No doubt i'll let you know how it goes!

SO MANY RUN-ON SENTENCES!!!

i'm going to go insane... :confused:

On the last 3 systems I have built in my shop I done some testing. I installed the heatsink with the "pink" pad and stressed the system and recorded the temps then I removed the "pink" pad and applied some Artic Silver 3 and retested to find that the temps dropped 2-3 degrees Celsius at full load and 2 at idle.

Needless to say I have always removed the pad and applied Artic Silver to all the systems I have built. I'm sure there are others that work just as good I just prefer AC.

No Probs mate, have a good time with ure new processer, You can send me your old processor as a thankyou :p

Skazz

Hey,

I recently put a new cpu in my new pc, if you want your cpu to run cool, u need to get a decent HSF, I got a thermal take volcano 7+ (http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod277.htm VERY NICE) and u need to get arctic thermal 3 compound ( http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod227.htm ) and can u will also need a cpu SHIM ( http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod270.htm )to stop the bigger better HSK from crushing your brand new cpu.

I sujest reading a few reviews on the application of arctic thermal 3 compund, as it needs to be aplied correctly to have your cpu run cooler.

Hope I was some assistance.

Kind Regards
Steve

Nice use of punctuation, Krux. lol. haven't seen ya in a while.

Teddy, you may also wanna double check to make sure that your motherboard can use the new CPU. that's a moderately big jump in CPU speed.

Thanks for all your replies, they've been very useful.

PC-Dude - does 2-3 celcius make that much difference to the way a CPU operates? (sorry, not very knowledgeable on CPU temps, only that they should be kept under 50 degrees!)

skazzyuk - the 'old' CPU is the same as yours, you wouldnt want 2 would ya!!??? Surely not! :)

ElementalDragon - i currently have a KR7A board - not "officially" supported but i have read up on it in depth and through the use of the 9N BIOS it is most definately do-able!

Originally posted by Teddy

PC-Dude - does 2-3 celcius make that much difference to the way a CPU operates? (sorry, not very knowledgeable on CPU temps, only that they should be kept under 50 degrees!)

No it doesn't make a difference unless your temps are high...but otherwise you'll never see a difference.

i currently have a KR7A board - not "officially" supported but i have read up on it in depth and through the use of the 9N BIOS it is most definately do-able!
your KR7A will support a 2400+? i'm curious cuz i have a friend with the same board and we were bummed that the fastest he could get would be a 2100+. but a 2400+ should work, right? what about a 2600+?

Dont be to paranoid here your gonna hit the 50's start to worry if you are over 65 for extended times ... but mid 50's under load is very normal

Yahoo!!
All done.

Pretty quick and painless.
2400+ working nicely on a KR7a!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back