• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Purposeful Spy Software?

I am sending my laptop in to Dell for a videocard replacement. I get blue screens constantly and they said they would upgrade my videocard for free (under warranty).

I'd like to place spy software on my computer to see what they do. Some sort of "track all changes" "view all files opened" "video capture" type stuff.

I have seen it through a YouTube video - but it was a Mac using the video camera, and it wasnt a screen capture - obviously.

Would a Keylogger also track icons clicked on? Files opened?

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Did they ask for you to send the hard drive? Normally you take the hard drive out prior to sending it to them.

wouldn't that void my warranty? I just know to take out SD Memory, Flash, DVDs, PCMCIA, and battery. I've never heard of taking out the hard drive.

Shamus MacNoob

Political User
I am sending my laptop in to Dell for a videocard replacement. I get blue screens constantly and they said they would upgrade my videocard for free (under warranty).

I'd like to place spy software on my computer to see what they do. Some sort of "track all changes" "view all files opened" "video capture" type stuff.

I have seen it through a YouTube video - but it was a Mac using the video camera, and it wasnt a screen capture - obviously.

Would a Keylogger also track icons clicked on? Files opened?
Yes keyloggers will track all opened applications and files opened.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
I am a Dell Solutions Provider. The instructions that Dell provides via email and within the box (if they send you a box for shipment) will tell you to remove the hard drive unless otherwise instructed to by the Dell technician.

ming

OSNN Advanced
heh.. that's the first time I've heard anyone or any company rather requesting that a component to be removed prior to shipping.

ming

OSNN Advanced
That's it. I am going to dig up the paperwork and prove it!

It is to prevent data loss.
Don't take it the wrong way, I already assumed it was to prevent data loss. It's just that I've never heard anyone request that before.

customers are normally advised to backup their important files here just in case there might be an occurance like that.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shariaokeda