pureftpd quickstart manual

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Here I am again, with yet another question:
I am currently looking into pureftpd as a ftp server for my FreeBSD 4.10 box, but the manual is *huge*. I have tried looking for quickstart manuals, but so far I have found none. Basically what I want is to specify a directory where people with the correct username/password combination can read/write to. Maybe it is possible to link the username and password to the Unix user-information, used for login to the box? That's all I want really.

btw, if you do run the pure-pwconvert prog/script always run pure-pw mkdb right after to properly effect the new entries

I always liked proftpd since the config file looks like httpd.conf, make me feel at home.

Thanks Geffy, I never thought of BSDguides.
@j79zlr: That is also the main reason I choose it, as I know a little about httpd.conf.

I find pure-ftpd so much easier to setup, and with the puredb part on as well, you can do so much, so easily

Damn, it is easy to setup! Using the guide on bsdforums.org, I set it up in 5 mins. I only have some problems with the Passive Port settings, I just can't seem to get them right. But it's late, maybe I overlooked a setting.

IIRC you have to define the WAN IP address [with ProFTPd] to get the passive ports to work correctly.

yeah, set your external ip address for the passive ip and then forward the port range which you want passive to use and enter those in the pure-ftpd.conf file

that is if you are using pure-ftpd

which are you using??

Uh I seem to have mixed some things up. I am using pureftpd. :doh:

Hmm, it's confusing me. At one hand you have a pureftpd.conf file where you can set the settings, but I can't find any documentation about that file, instead pureftpd.org talks about switches used on startup. Which should I use? That could also explain why the pasv settings don't work, because I set them in the .conf file.

I always use the conf file, it does basically the same thing as the list of switches, but in a more formal and readable format

Ah thanks. One more thing:
when I type in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pure-ftpd.sh stop (I wanted to restart the FTP server) I get an error about a missing prefix. I haven't edited the file since I removed the .sample from the filename...

hrmm thats odd, when you give it the full /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ part that is the prefix

I think I am gonna extract the file and reinstall it again. Do you happen to know how I can extract one file from the ports collection? I know 'make extract', but that extracts the entire archive.

just a though, have you tried to cd into /usr/local/etc/rc.d and run
./pure-ftpd.sh stop
or whatever

[root@server1:~] # cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
[root@server1:/usr/local/etc/rc.d] # ls
000.mysql-client.sh mysql-server.sh sm-client.sh.sample
000.pkgtools.sh pure-ftpd.sh svscan.sh
apache2.sh samba.sh
cups.sh.sample sendmail.sh
[root@server1:/usr/local/etc/rc.d] # ./pure-ftpd.sh stop
./pure-ftpd.sh: Cannot determine the PREFIX
[root@server1:/usr/local/etc/rc.d] #
:( Doesn't work. Wnat me to post the contents of the file?

edit: I just restarted the server (I installed a new fan), and pure-ftpd started up normally. Or does it only look if pureftpd_start="YES" in /etc/rc.conf (as it is now)?

hmm, could you post the script, just wanna take a look

Try editting the script, this section:

Code:
if ! PREFIX=$(expr $0 : "\(/.*\)/etc/rc\.d/$(basename $0)\$"); then

echo "$0: Cannot determine the PREFIX" >&2

exit 1

fi

to

Code:
if ! PREFIX=$(expr $0 : "\(/.*\)/usr/local/etc/rc\.d/$(basename $0)\$"); then

echo "$0: Cannot determine the PREFIX" >&2

exit 1

fi

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back