PSU question.

Sorry... it's been a long day and my brain is a little fried, these are good makes I would recommend along with Enermax. they are quite expensive those, and the price for.

Enermax Galaxy 1000W £234.94 (I said they would be expensive $471.00
Enermax Galaxy 850W £180.98 (I said they would be expensive) $357.00
Tagan 900W £151.99 $300.00
ANTEC Don't bother I never trust a PSU which is cheap

Personal preference at the end of the day, I have been using Enermax since 1996 and have never once had a problem with them. In that time I have upgraded my PSU twice from a 350W to a 550W PSU. The next one will probably be the Enermax Galaxy either 850W or 1000W depending on which GFX I decide to get.

Don't touch ANTEC.

The prices are my conversions I hope I am right...:)
I would agree with you on the price thing, but my case psu died in a week, so i took a risk, on the 20 dollar Logysis PSU, and it paid off big.
Never had any problems with it, and its been over a year.

The x4 10k raptors scare me power demand wise.

You said they will be in a RAID 0. Is that a 4 way stripe or two seperate partitions with 2 way stripe? Or did you mean a 0+1 raid?

If they are in a 4 way stripe or a 0+1 RAID then they will all spin up at the same time. That will be an ugly surge. I would not consider les than 750W in that case.

Before you buy any PSU for a $3.4K rig check their replacement warantee. You NEED a PSU that will warantee replace the entire computer if the PSU fries.

Next check the efficiency. At 750 W that's a big hit on your electric bill with cost per kilowatt hour up 50% in the last 2 years.

The standard is now at ATX12V2 to support the latest Intel and SLI hardware. Some of those PC P&C were not compliant with the standard. There is a reason for standards. With a single 12V@72A rail like that one PSU had the RAPTOR spin up surge could do ugly things like artifact your video. The explanation they had at the bottom of the page was BS. Multiple rails are intended to waste power. It is called reserve/design margin.

Finally as always I recommend Antec or Enermax. But check their warantees , they may have changed.

So my 550w psu makes a difference in the power bill?

if i were buying a system that cost that much i would for sure go with a 8800 gts if not a gtx. i would also look into a 680i mobo. as for power supply i would go pcp&c. and for the hard drives, if you are running 4 in a raid 0 you better have a backup drive and a good waranty.

Last edited:
if i were buying a system that cost that much i would for sure go with a 8800 gts if not a gtx. i would also look into a 680i mobo. as for power supply i would go pcp&c. and for the hard drives, if you are running 4 in a raid 0 you better have a backup drive and a good waranty.
Definately the gtx.
I look at all gts cards as the value cards.
Stinky, even if they are better, i feel if u can get the best, of a video card
, you must get it.

I have been using them for years never once come across a problem with them.

Thats great, but if they (ENERMAX) are the end all/be all of PSUs then why arent they used in high-end commercial workstations and servers like silicone graphics clusters where power demands are consistantly high?

I would think the industry leader who helped set the efficiency standards in PSU's (PC power and cooling) would be your first choice...

maybe thats just me... COST is the sole reason I would think people would NOT use PCP&C...

just my $.02...

Since Saz hasn't posted...

PC Power and Cooling

tsk tsk... KC and I already reccomended them :)

I reccomended the 1kW PSU :D

I love me some PCP&C!!!

Before you buy any PSU for a $3.4K rig check their replacement warantee. You NEED a PSU that will warantee replace the entire computer if the PSU fries.

Next check the efficiency. At 750 W that's a big hit on your electric bill with cost per kilowatt hour up 50% in the last 2 years.

The standard is now at ATX12V2 to support the latest Intel and SLI hardware. Some of those PC P&C were not compliant with the standard. There is a reason for standards. With a single 12V@72A rail like that one PSU had the RAPTOR spin up surge could do ugly things like artifact your video. The explanation they had at the bottom of the page was BS. Multiple rails are intended to waste power. It is called reserve/design margin.

Finally as always I recommend Antec or Enermax. But check their warantees , they may have changed.

I would love to hear your logic behind saying that PCP&C PSUs dont meet the standards.. what standards?
They are (like I already stated) the #1 trusted PSU maker in the world for high power work stations and servers... to INCLUDE Silicone Graphics...

I would challenge anyone on this tech page to dispute this...
and when you do you had better have good refferences... I have mine... and this is one debate I would LOVE to have...
EDIT: Also I looked back and both the PSUs for PCP&C were NVIDIA SLI certified...

Last edited:
He doesn't count.

AHEM... what about me MISTER??

:mad:

and you had better have the right answer or I might send your cookies back to you with special ingredients in them to fix your insinuations...

:eek:

Don't be silly Mike. Of course you matter.

PC P&C is the best of the best. I will never use another brand PSU in any of my self-built systems. And 1KW is even better. I'll settle for my 550w Turbo Cool for now.

And Brad Chimes in with another useless post :).

I think the pcp&c should be fine, i think 1000w is excessive though.

Don't be silly Mike. Of course you matter.

PC P&C is the best of the best. I will never use another brand PSU in any of my self-built systems. And 1KW is even better. I'll settle for my 550w Turbo Cool for now.
:laugh:

WOOT!

If I had the $$ I would build myself a new system with this monster at the helm FO SHO!!

And you do the same.
Mine had value, i was giving input on the psu...
Yours, even the second one was worthless :)

- How many watts, or killawatts are used in a day for a house, im a little shady on this whole watt thing, how are they measured?
KWhrs?

IM trying to see if mine, or the 1000 watt psu will make a diff in electric bill :)

ok ok.... damn children i'm away for a day and your all in fighting.

ok to clear some stuff up.

the 1 raptor will be for the os the four others i need to be seen as one drive (is this raid 0?).

the electric bill isn't a concern, speed, efficiency and stabibility are the main factors here.

Also i don't need a better v/card, i don't really need this one, i'll be doing HD content on this box, which is the only reason a good card.

i'm thinking about this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817703006

OMG

this is what i got from the extreme calc.

Recommended PSU Wattage:*
1.gif
1.gif
2.gif
6.gif
w.gif

even the best psu that pc power has isn't good enough.

well that psu eats power for breakfast, lunch and dinner, that alone i think is moving me towards buying the xeon, perhaps the clovertown.

Last edited:
lancer, good choice. Very good choice.

its actually amazing the clovertown has quad cores, but uses far less power that the extreme or the 5160's

That is a crazy amount of power needed :eek:

I can't wait to see some benchmarks for this puppy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back