PSU question.

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Ok i am putting together this pc, and i need to know a) what you guys think of it for a crunching pc, and second, what kind of psu should i get for it.

1x PLEXTOR 16X DVD±R DVD Burner $105.99
5x Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive $1,149.95
1x eVGA 512-P2-N635-AR Geforce 7950GT KO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card $269.99
2x Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $519.98
1x ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) $227.99
1x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor $1,499.00

Total so far $3,772.90

i still need to add the psu and case to that.

the first 4 hd's will be in raid 0 and the 5 will be a standalone for the os.

thanks brad, but try not to get the spittle on the componants please :)

BAD KC VAERY BAD...

*Rolls newspaper and smacks on nose*

very bad, sit, stay... good KC...

now for the real PSU from PCP&C:
http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T1KWSR

:D

Ok i am putting together this pc, and i need to know a) what you guys think of it for a crunching pc, and second, what kind of psu should i get for it.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T1KWSR

As I said already and if you are going to look at using this board for RAID I would check to ensure they have fixed the RAID issues with this board...

other than that LOOKS GREAT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel like justifying your comments besides just saying BAD?

Do you really think he needs all that juice for the one you recommend?

both are waaay off...

a 600w one (from a known respected brand -like ocz, enermax-) should work more than ok

you guys need to remember i have parts like 5 10,000rpm drives and a high end v/card that will eat up a lot of juice.

kc which parts do you think i could use instead, and what motherboard would you suggest instead of the one i picked?

Feel like justifying your comments besides just saying BAD?

Do you really think he needs all that juice for the one you recommend?

No not really.. but it is one BADA$$ PSU to be sure... it would be one of the last ones he would ever need... with power demands getting ready to go down rather than up, hes ready for quadcore GPUS and CPUS and doesnt need to upgrade...

:laugh:

I was j/king KC dont get all in a ruffle...

:)

First off, why are you so rich?
Secondly, I think an 800w psu would suffice.

i know van you feeling your crown about to be toppled haha :)

hopefully 800w's is enough.... but i also dont want a **** load of heat coming off this thing.

No ruffling here, was actually hoping for some technical speak to justify your comments is all :)

1x PLEXTOR 16X DVD±R DVD Burner $105.99
5x Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive $1,149.95
1x eVGA 512-P2-N635-AR Geforce 7950GT KO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card $269.99
2x Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) $519.98
1x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor $1,499.00

Total so far $3,772.90

i still need to add the psu and case to that.

The best in the business, ENERMAX, I call them the Rolls Royce of PSU. I would recommenced the Enermax® Galaxy Series Power Supply between 800w and a 1000W, not sure what the price will be but I would imagine you would not get much change from $200.00 could be more. The reason I recommenced this one is because if you decide to upgrade your card again you have the power sockets ready for direct connection to the PSU to the GFX card.

Link would help... http://www.enermax.co.uk/products/psu/galaxy/EGA850EWL/index.asp I will be using this PSU because I am going to be using a Crossfire GFX card.

Really?
I always thought enermax was iffy.
Amazingly, i took a shot on Logysis, a no namer, and mine is holding out fine.

Really?
I always thought enermax was iffy.
Amazingly, i took a shot on Logysis, a no namer, and mine is holding out fine.

I have been using them for years never once come across a problem with them.

hmm, I dont know why i thought otherwise.
I always thought that Thermaltake was the best.

mecham are you saying those three manufacturers are the best or worst?

Since Saz hasn't posted...

PC Power and Cooling

mecham are you saying those three manufacturers are the best or worst?

Sorry... it's been a long day and my brain is a little fried, these are good makes I would recommend along with Enermax. they are quite expensive those, and the price for.

Enermax Galaxy 1000W £234.94 (I said they would be expensive $471.00
Enermax Galaxy 850W £180.98 (I said they would be expensive) $357.00
Tagan 900W £151.99 $300.00
ANTEC Don't bother I never trust a PSU which is cheap

Personal preference at the end of the day, I have been using Enermax since 1996 and have never once had a problem with them. In that time I have upgraded my PSU twice from a 350W to a 550W PSU. The next one will probably be the Enermax Galaxy either 850W or 1000W depending on which GFX I decide to get.

Don't touch ANTEC.

The prices are my conversions I hope I am right...:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back