PSU help needed

djmorgan

OSNN Addict
I have a Topower 420 watt PSU - this is made in the same factory as Enermax.

Now since adding a G4 4600 my +5.00 rail has dropped to 4.88 volts which is still in the range of +/- 5% the rated amps on this rail is 44amps

If I remove the G4 the power goes up to 4.92 volts

If I get another PSU with higher rated amps will I get a better figure out of this rail?

I have a bit on my system but not over the top - I don't think! 2 HD's a DVD and CD-R 4 case fans a floppy.

So can anybody tell me if it's a lousy PSU or not, I am not having any problems like crashes or freezes

Thanks in advance :D

If it works fine; I don't see why there is a reason to worry. Seems fine to me. :)

same here... as long as it din giv u any prob...
i'm using enermax too and it give me 4.91v

My 3.3V is 3.02V but everything works fine. So I don't worry. My monitoring program screams it's little heart out though! :D

If your really bothered! inside there are components called voltage regulators inside your psu and around your cpu socket they are square black chips with three legs and they control the amount of voltage going to the component and adjust it accordingly - sometimes the companys that build the psu's put in second rate components i.e. voltage regulators and also if the VRs get too hot then they tend to malfunction and restrict the voltage and they need a heat sink on them and maybe a fan of some sorts and you will get more accurate voltages

>>>I DONT SUGGEST YOU OPEN UP YOUR PSU UNLESS YOU ARE VERY SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING AS THEY HAVE SOME FAT ASS CAPACITORS IN THERE THAT WILL GIVE YOU THE SHOCK OF YOUR LIFE. OR MAYBE KILL YOU. AND IF YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER WRONG I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BURNING DOWN YOUR HOUSE OR FRYING YOUR PC OR KILLING YOU<<< ;)

But if your like me you wont give a **** about what ive just said and go on and do it all in aid of performance!:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back