PS3/Wii Demand (Or Lack Of)

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
Last year, it took several months for the Xbox 360 to be readily available in retail stores. Chains such as Gamestop/ EB Games were still filling preorders well into 2006 (the system launched 11/21/2005), and it wasn’t until around March or April that someone could easily walk into a store and walk out with Microsoft’s next-generation console. Now Nintendo seems to be walking that path, with demand for the Wii still far exceeding the available stock. While this time the preorders were filled right away, people are still hunting and waiting in long lines and hoping to get lucky in acquiring the system.
It now appears, though, that Sony is having no such issues. A recent check with my local game store found that they had plenty of Playstation 3’s in stock, and that they weren’t exactly moving. My first thought was that Sony had caught up with production and was sending out greater numbers, but the store informed me that they were still getting the same shipments they’ve been getting all along (roughly 2 systems a week), but that with nobody coming in to purchase the console the stock is just building up.
The employees of that store and others report that while they’re still fielding a high number of Wii-related calls during each day, they can go an entire day without any inquiries at all about the PS3. One store showed me a scratch pad they kept by the phone one day, making marks for each Wii call and PS3 call they received. At the end of that day the Wii had gotten 75, while the PS3 came in at 2.

The other issue the store reported is the high number of returns on the Playstation 3. These customers, states my source, had in most cases purchased the consoles in the hopes of making a profit by reselling them online. A quick scan of Ebay, though, shows that this is no longer an option. The few PS3’s that are posted either have no bids at all, or are being sold for the retail price or even below (I saw one unopened 60gb unit with a Buy it Now price of $550, $50 below the retail price). So these people who had hoped to make some easy money are bringing back their purchases so they can at least break even.

Full Article

ok they where the sadest pictures i've seen in a while.....

although i am routing for ms and nintendo, i don't want to see the ps3 tank, as it equals an enormous amount of work for the people at sony.

Plus sony will go bankrupt is the ps3 tanks.....

ok they where the sadest pictures i've seen in a while.....

although i am routing for ms and nintendo, i don't want to see the ps3 tank, as it equals an enormous amount of work for the people at sony.

Plus sony will go bankrupt is the ps3 tanks.....
I know,
plus there is no valid reason other than price, for it to tank...
maybe its specs are just too excessive.

well..... kinda can't help but laugh at it though. The general public (and by that i mean PS3 fans on forums all over the place) thought the PS3 would be the #1 console to get.... and people were actually selling their Wii's for more than PS3's retailed for.... people trading their PS3's straight up for Wii's, returning their PS3's due to no demand. My local Wal-Mart had 2 PS3's returned an hour after they were purchased because the person that bought them found out there was no profit to be made on eBay.

Kinda looks like the order of things MIGHT be along the lines of:

1) Wii (or 360)
>or a tie between the two
2) 360 (or Wii)
3) PS3

They kept saying "people will buy the PS3 because of it's graphics and because it's a cheap BluRay player." I talked to one kid at Wal-Mart, who wanted a PS3 (his mom buying it of course.... the kid was like 12), and he didn't even know what BluRay was. then again.... he also apparently had no clue about how to figure out which console was more popular, when 3 PS3's were in their case, and not a single Wii in sight. not even any Wii Remotes or Nunchucks.

Sony was too arrogant for their own good. Maybe they'll learn from their mistakes and you know...actually begin releasing decent games.

There are two things that will make or break the PS3:

1)The Final Fantasy games
2) MGS4 (and there are rumors this will be coming to the 360)

yeah... and the fact that once MGS4 comes out, the creators of it are looking towards an opportunity to develop something for the Wii.

i wouldn't really say they're too arrogant.... they just should have had two DIFFERENT focal point on their console:

a) not so much emphasis on BluRay/HD.... shoulda stuck with DVD to keep it cheaper.
b) should have actually made commercials that actually looked like advertising, not just some retarded crap like a rubix cube exploding and a doll going all retarded

It doesn't help console sales when most people barely even know what BluRay is, thus won't see the reason for a $500-600 game console that in their minds does just as much as the $250-400 competition.

well i was at target in sarasota, fl and they had a ps3 20gb version there as well, thats just wrong,

i was just down at my local wal-mart again.... was like "wow, you's actually got rid of the PS3's". the person at the counter followed up with a "no... there's probably more in the back, nobody feels like going back to get any though."

i was just down at my local wal-mart again.... was like "wow, you's actually got rid of the PS3's". the person at the counter followed up with a "no... there's probably more in the back, nobody feels like going back to get any though."
Meh.
This is weird, I can still not get ps3s in my area.
No wiis either.

Meh.
This is weird, I can still not get ps3s in my area.
No wiis either.

Maybe thats the problem. They've all been sent to NY or something, and are sitting in some large warehouse until someone ships them out.

all i know is i have a 360 and I am very happy with it. and im looking for a Wii and i cant even find it. Yet i was at best buy the other day and I literally saw 10 of them, just sitting there. Sony f*cked up and personally im glad, they wil pay for it this time.

all i know is i have a 360 and I am very happy with it. and im looking for a Wii and i cant even find it. Yet i was at best buy the other day and I literally saw 10 of them, just sitting there. Sony f*cked up and personally im glad, they wil pay for it this time.
Why do you not like Sony?
Sony is probably one of the best businesses of our time...

sony used to be a wonderful company, now they just sell mediocre products that are vastly more expensive than the compitition.

A lot of their ideas they are selfish with and so no one supports them, then they fail, they do this time and time again...

Why do you not like Sony?
Sony is probably one of the best businesses of our time...

Well lets start.. Sony doesn't give a sh*t about the consumer anymore. They keep trying to push DRM sh*t on us and propriatory technology that may or may not win.

To add on that i bought a sony digital handy cam for 500 a few months ago and have learned that it is a piece of sh*t as well.

Well lets start.. Sony doesn't give a sh*t about the consumer anymore. They keep trying to push DRM sh*t on us and propriatory technology that may or may not win.

To add on that i bought a sony digital handy cam for 500 a few months ago and have learned that it is a piece of sh*t as well.
Is it Son'ys Fault you didn't research?
I say more power to em, if they can pawn off a ****ty camera for 500 bucks.

Apart from price being the major factor for the item not shifting, I think there was too much hype and no stock available and that 75% of those that wanted a PS3 now have other plans on spending their money. If there were sufficient stock at the time of "original" release date then it might have been a different story.

i think elemental dragon hates ps3s or sony. maybe he had a bad experience or just loves the wii he likes to hate other consoles.

i personally...will get nothing...yet. my friend has a wii..he was soo hyped about getting one. now after a month after having one..his response is 'its okay. noveltys worn off a bit'.

i want a 360 after playing 1 game on it. i thought wow.

but if the ps3 comes waaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaay down in price to something humanly affordable and sensible..then maybe..just maybe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back