PS3 Slim...who's going for it?

I might be one of the few that is really digging the new re-design. I actually prefer it to the original.

The Slim's features would suit me just fine -- I don't care about backwards compatibility, 4 USB ports, or a card reader. I guess I'm more of a "casual" player: I don't play games as much as I used to, but I very much enjoy the more involving, "hardcore" titles. I only own a Wii right now [insert joke about collecting dust], so I'm looking to finally make my jump to HD gaming... and having a Blu-Ray player to boot would be nice.

That being said, I can't decide whether to take the plunge with the PS3 or get an XBOX 360. I really like the controller and the interface of the 360 (not much of an online gamer, so Live is not really a draw for me) and there are some games that I want to play that are only on that system. Then again, the same goes for the PS3. Looks like I have some thinking to do, lol.

Since I don't' have much experience with either a PS3 or an XBOX 360, if anyone has any feedback on the systems, pro or con, I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

I have all consoles right now, Wii, DS, DSi, 360, PSP, PS3 80GB and I will still be getting the new slim version, mainly because I want to upgrade my harddrive and feel like I might as well get the latest thing, I love getting new things.

Both the 360 and PS3 are great consoles, but in terms of looks and menu, 360 is starting to feel very cartoonish/kiddish to me, I love how the PS3 looks and feels.

I have all consoles right now, Wii, DS, DSi, 360, PSP, PS3 80GB and I will still be getting the new slim version, mainly because I want to upgrade my harddrive and feel like I might as well get the latest thing, I love getting new things.

Both the 360 and PS3 are great consoles, but in terms of looks and menu, 360 is starting to feel very cartoonish/kiddish to me, I love how the PS3 looks and feels.
And people talk about the Apple kool-aid. ;)

wish i had that kinda disposable income :p

The only thing I don't like about the SLIM is the 2 USB ports, which I have an 80GB original so it's only 2 ports, but I didn't know they had 4, now I want 4 lol

The only thing I don't like about the SLIM is the 2 USB ports, which I have an 80GB original so it's only 2 ports, but I didn't know they had 4, now I want 4 lol
I have a 40gb and I can't stand only have two ports.

The reason. I use nyko products, like a nyko controller, and nyko guitars for rockband. Those slots fill up fast.

I got a splitter which kinda worked.

I will still be getting the new slim version, mainly because I want to upgrade my harddrive and feel like I might as well get the latest thing, I love getting new things.

You know you can upgrade the HD on your OG PS3. why spend $ on the new one?

Unless you just like spending $$ :laugh:

Th eonly advantage I see for getting the new one is if you don;t have one already. and the only difference is looks and it uses the 45nm Cell which runs less power and runs cooler.

You know you can upgrade the HD on your OG PS3. why spend $ on the new one?

Unless you just like spending $$ :laugh:

Th eonly advantage I see for getting the new one is if you don;t have one already. and the only difference is looks and it uses the 45nm Cell which runs less power and runs cooler.

Along with saying I wanted to upgrade the HD, I said I like getting new things and might as well get the new one.

While my 360 is huge and far too loud, I think I'll still pass.

Never been a big fan of Sony--prices too high, likes to stick to proprietary formats, etc. As a grad student, I've got far too many more important things I can spend $300 on.

While my 360 is huge and far too loud, I think I'll still pass.

Never been a big fan of Sony--prices too high, likes to stick to proprietary formats, etc. As a grad student, I've got far too many more important things I can spend $300 on.
like an xbox?

Too bad my ps3 kicks ass (original 20gb with a 250gb in... with BC) and gets damn hot! The slimmer one is damn sexy...thoughts?

ps3-slim-comparison-1.jpg
Still too expensive in New Zealand

well the new version has its pros and cons.
the biggest + point being the lowered price. its now $100 cheaper to own a PS3.
but negative points include removed feature of ability to install linux as operating system. That, IMO effectively ends the possibility of using your PS3 as an alternate for your pc.

Not only that, but the lack of backwards compatibility. I wouldn't mind the new PS3.... but one of my reasons for ever buying a PS3 was to play through the God of War series. Guess that sends that idea down the tubes. Probably gonna just stick to my Wii and PC for now.

LaurasPureLife: i don't see how you can say you "don't like the design" of it. It's the same freakin design.... just a bit thinner, and they hacked an inch or two off the optical drive side, and slid the oblong part on top over a tad. Other than that, the only change was a matte finish on top rather than the high gloss.... which i'm not very fond of high gloss stuff anyway. too many damn fingerprints.

Not only that, but the lack of backwards compatibility. I wouldn't mind the new PS3.... but one of my reasons for ever buying a PS3 was to play through the God of War series. Guess that sends that idea down the tubes. Probably gonna just stick to my Wii and PC for now.

LaurasPureLife: i don't see how you can say you "don't like the design" of it. It's the same freakin design.... just a bit thinner, and they hacked an inch or two off the optical drive side, and slid the oblong part on top over a tad. Other than that, the only change was a matte finish on top rather than the high gloss.... which i'm not very fond of high gloss stuff anyway. too many damn fingerprints.
I dont know who has had luck with installing linux on their ps3s but my friend and I tried several different versions and messed around with settings and coding and the ps3 was ok at best in running linux. it ran the web browser fairly well but the overall speed was awful.

Yeah.... my friend said the same thing. In a sense, i guess you could say that basically the PS3 isn't designed to run a standard OS.

How's your PS3 Slim, for those who brought them? I would love to play mine, but Uncharted keeps freezing. :cry:

How's your PS3 Slim, for those who brought them? I would love to play mine, but Uncharted keeps freezing. :cry:

its the 3.0 firmware, SONY is looking into the matter for a fix soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back