PS3 Blu-ray drive broken....

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
So, apparently my PS3 blu-ray drive has broken for a second time, Sony replaced it the first time it broke back in 2007 or 8, and this one has now just broken. Does anybody know what I am supposed to do? Are there any fixes?
The issue is that when i insert a disc, nothing shows up. no icon for a movie or a game.

So, apparently my PS3 blu-ray drive has broken for a second time, Sony replaced it the first time it broke back in 2007 or 8, and this one has now just broken. Does anybody know what I am supposed to do? Are there any fixes?
The issue is that when i insert a disc, nothing shows up. no icon for a movie or a game.
I just took my ps3 apart and say the ribbon cable attached to the ps3 drive was pretty creased from the drive resting on it. Does anyone think this could be the problem? I put a disc in I hear a quick shutter (maybe from the laser moving) and then nothing. The disc is ejected and inserted with no issues. and the blue light flickers when the disc is ejecting. Has anyone else had this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I mean, if I can not spend 70 dollars on a drive that would certainly be best.

Check this post. Possible 2.5 firmware issue, possible laser assy issue.

PS3 Blu-ray drive or just laser problem?

Afterdawn had other PS3 bluray posts also.

A mashed up ribbon cable could be a problem but I would expect the symptoms to be different. I've had ribbon cable issues on commercial equipment I worked on.

In general I've seen a lot of laser diode issues on consumer electronics, though not on PC drives. The consumer stuff is just not designed as well and can't compensate for the diodes aging. I've had players start getting real finicky after as little as a year.

I bought a new laser for the ps3, should be here soon so we'll see what happens. The firmware on the ps3 is 3.15 now, I wish they hadn't updated the ps3 past 3.0 since they did a lot of negative things to the ps3, but no update was done just prior blu-ray not working so I cant assume its because of that. The system froze while playing rockband and then after that it simply wouldn't play any discs.

Any further news on this van?

Any further news on this van?
I fixed it myself cost me 50 bucks for a new laser, was extremely easy to fix though. And it turned out that the problem was the laser. Sony has moved way down in my book over recent months. I cant say there quality is worse than an xbox of course since in the same week my ps3 broke, my friends xbox360 got 3/4 ring of death and microsoft wouldn't cover that. But in the recent weeks Sony has charged me 300 dollars for no reason, and I have been battling them to get it back (which it seems I have) Then also they made my Nyko Guitars no longer work, which was a real Pain in the Ass, I had to buy a rockband branded guitar and by the way, the rockband guitar is awful, its clicks like nothing I have ever heard. Its just Sony being an awful company, suffice to say if i didn't have like a hundred Blu-Ray movies and a good deal of games, Sony would not be my console choice. But yea, it was the laser and yes it is extremely easy to fix and you can pick up the lasers for like 40 bucks on Ebay if its from china or 50 if its from the US (I chose the US since I haven't had the best of luck with Chinese sellers)

Hey Van, funny story, i was planning on fixing ps3's on the side so i bought a lot of 10 blu-ray ps3 lasers kids, shame i didn't here about this before, would have sent you one for free.

Hey Van, funny story, i was planning on fixing ps3's on the side so i bought a lot of 10 blu-ray ps3 lasers kids, shame i didn't here about this before, would have sent you one for free.
Haha, yea that is too bad lol.
Oh well, it was only a 50 dollar fix vs the 150 sony wanted to charge.
Thanks anyway though lol.

I realize that this is an old post, but I would like to ask a question about the PlayStation 3 that I can't seem to find anyone asking.

Is it possible for the power that feeds into the mobo (solder points) can break down before it goes back into the Blu-Ray drive leaving it without power?

The reason I ask this question is I have rebuilt successfully (2) PS3 units and have (2) that are both working with the exception of their inability to get power into the Blu-Ray and (1) that has frozen so bad that you can't get it into the safe mode.

I have done several tests (swap ribbons, Blu-Ray drives, etc..) that have ruled out a bad laser, ribbon, power supply, etc... The only thing left is the power that is feeding the Blu-Ray is insufficient. I had even used the Drive controller board from the questionable PS3 in the working unit (I know they aren't married), which allowed me to eject the disc and put it back in.

Thank you in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back