PS2 on HDTV: best cables to use?

GEN3RIC

OSNN Senior Addict
I am just using composite 'yellow-plug' right now, but I notice that it is extremely granulated and fuzzy. I dont know if this is due to the fact that HD resolutions arent supported, or if its the cable. I pretty much just play GT4, so I dont want to go all-out on cables.

I saw a setting that would select 16:9 ratio and an HD-resolution. (there was normal, 480P, and 720P, IIRC) I couldnt select 480p or 720p, it tried, but I am guessing the composite isnt capable of that. How much will I benefit from getting the component cable? Or do I have the option of DVI or HDMI?

I also should ask this for XBOX too, since I prefer better image quality on that as well. oh man, I might as well just go get an X360..... :dead:

Thanks!

I don't believe the PS2 supports HD, so even if you do get component cables the output will only be 480p on your tv. There is no reason to spend money on the "Monster" component cables, a decent set will do.

The Xbox does support HD depending on the game, but you can use the HD av pack instead of the Monster one and save your self some serious coinage.

As for the 360 I could'nt tell you till I get one. next month or so.

falconguard said:
I don't believe the PS2 supports HD, so even if you do get component cables the output will only be 480p on your tv. There is no reason to spend money on the "Monster" component cables, a decent set will do.

The Xbox does support HD depending on the game, but you can use the HD av pack instead of the Monster one and save your self some serious coinage.

As for the 360 I could'nt tell you till I get one. next month or so.
That I agree with, it doesnt warrant expensive cables. So component is as good as it gets?

For the ps2 yes component will be as good as it gets. Your looking at DVD quality on an HD set, unless you have an upconverting DVD player.

for ps2, yes component is as good as it gets, you won't notice any difference with dvi/hdmi till you get a 360 :)

its no wonder you're getting a grainy image, worst connection ever (composite) + outdated console = crappy image ;)

Yeah I know, I dont game too much. Hate the PS2 and until now have not had an HDTV. I should just say F the PS2 and buy an Xbox 360. There are some games I would play on there....... :D

ot: if i were to pick up a 360 with the HDD/wireless controllers and lets say 2 games, how much am I looking at spending right now? Id likely go to best buy and finance that sucker. Credit is the devil...

When i switched to HD component cables on my ps2, i don't think there was much of a difference. I mean there was a slight difference, but nothing amazing. That was until i got Xbox 360. But now the downside of having 360 is that i truly hate playing ps2 now cause the graphics seem so $hitty.

But i say if you want the cables go for it, i also personally got it cause at the time GT-4 just came out, and i was happy with the purchase.

Now I am really just contemplating a 360 today. If I had PGR3 or Forza I would forget GT4....since there are a number of unrealistic aspects I could never stand, but I love gaming on the couch.. :D Ho Hum...

xbox360 is well worth it, specially if you have a HD tv :D

I actually just stopped into Best Buy down the road.. they just sold their last core system, and I wanted the one with the HDD. Probably wont get any in until April. Where do I find who has stock locally?

360 is the way to go...for now that is. PGR3 looks and reacts great, just wish there were more cars and options for you to customize them. The best buy in my area has plenty of core systems, but don't know about premium package. A friend of a friend just purchased a premium package at an EB store a month ago. You just gotta keep your eyes open, good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back