PS2 HD. Whats it for?

buzzstpoint

Computervitals.com
Political Access
Warrenty expired on my PS2 so I chipped it, It has a network adapter for online play..

But I've been hearing about the harddrive for the PS2. What is if for? and what can I do with the harddrive?

Next thing, is it worth the investment for the hd?

To my knowledge (admitedly limited on this subject) the PS2 HDD was released in conjunction with some Final Fantasty Game, and the PS2 Linux distribution.

They canned HDD support in the new slim-line PS2, so it can't of been that important as a feature.

buzzstpoint said:
Warrenty expired on my PS2 so I chipped it, It has a network adapter for online play..

But I've been hearing about the harddrive for the PS2. What is if for? and what can I do with the harddrive?

Next thing, is it worth the investment for the hd?

Mine was up and it had broke, but they still fixed it for free(maybe it was my smooth talking on the phone with the costumer service lady..or not :( ) Point being they would have still fixed it without warrenty anyway.

you can buy any HDD, you just need to get your hands on some disc that will format it however a sony drive is formatted.

than you can rent games and dump images of games on it.
and loading times in turn disappear

a friend of mine just did it.

Do a google search and you will find loads of info on the PS2 HD

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ps2+Hd&meta=

mainly you can put your game on the HD for faster load up times etc.

I would seriously look at an xbox, I had a PS2 since they first came out...I was persuaded to get an xbox before xmas (was lucky enough to get a crystal one) and have not looked back my PS2 has been gathering dust....there is much more you can do with the xbox hard drive...a lot more pieces of software seem to be being developed....XBMC, you can store and play any type of muisc, pictures, films (dvd, vcd, avi etc), ftp client...so easty transfer of files to your hard drive etc.

Obviously you need the xbox chipped...I got mine chipped with the new X3 chip and I haven't had any problems with xbox live (obviously with the chip off).

jimi_81 said:
than you can rent games and dump images of games on it.
and loading times in turn disappear
Im sure jimi means only put images of games you own on the HD :D

RIght,,, it would be for all my backup games I own.. :cool:

OK. I get the idea.. I have NFSU 2 and I'm not impressed with the wait times. Perhaps I should look into that.. As for the Xbox. well I can't really afford that.

There's a usb add-on or something to that extent (can't remember the name of it right now) that allows you to rip games off the cd and store them on the hard drive so, as jimi said, eliminates load times and protects the discs from being scratched. Initially, the only thing the hard drive did was decrease load times for Final Fantasy 11 by storing some content but there was nothing else you could do with it (other than install linux if you could find the kit). It was fairly useless and not worth the $100 or whatever to purchase it along with FF 11. Whether or not it's worth the investment now is more of a personal decision since it's still useless until you buy the addon that lets you actually use it for something other than FF 11 content storage.

those modchipstores sell a hdd and a setup disc for 149.99
so im pretty sure the disc exists somewhere...

i dont own a ps2, my friend tells me theres a hookup for the ide cable near the network connection?

It's not really an IDE connection, looks more like external SCSI. I'll take a picture of mine when I'm feeling a bit less lazy. :) But yeah, you need the network adapter to use the hard drive.

the software is called hdloader or one called hd advance and it lets you backup games to the harddrive

ps2-network.jpg

My bad, it does look like reverse IDE; I was thinking of the connection to the main unit.

oh and might i add the program works great too hardly any loading time not all games are supported though and you have to use a hacked version for harddrive over 137 gigs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back