protecting folders...

• Thread starter original delboy
  • Start date
O

original delboy

Hi i would like to knw how do you put passwords on folders like to stop other ppl getting into them..is there a way of doing this i think there is but not sure:confused:

Also when selecting folders or just highlighting them it doesnt dispaly the file name like the extension thing...how do u do this??

W

westy1

Are you useing FAT32 or NTFS, I believe you have to be useing NTFS to do it.

Qumahlin

OSNN Veteran Addict
you have to be using NTFS, then you can use the user profile's to make it so you only have access to the folders, also i'm not sure what you meant about extension, but folders do not have any type of extension

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political Access
I'm pretty sure this can only be done on xp pro not home - except compressed folders (and also must use NTFS). so if you have home....

also if you mean file extensions not folders then goto (in exporer) tools -> folder options, view tab and untick "hide extensions for known file types"

O

original delboy

Sorry peeps i ment file ext and not folders Doh:p ..thy kahyman ane the rest of you:p

T

TechTodd

theres no way to do it locally within windows, but there are third party software to password protect folders. you can do it from a network tho. post it on a server and you can password protect the share. you can make your users documents folder private, theres a setting somewhere, but i cant find it cause i diabled simple file sharing,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonioPR