• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

protect folder on network

How do i protect a folder on a network so that only individual accounts can view it from a wireless home network. i have a program folder on one computer(XP PRO) and two laptops(XP HOME) i want to be able to access this folder from only one laptop, how do i do this?

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Setup permissions on the share and permissions on the directory itself.

Right click the directory, go to the Sharing tab, select permissions. Setup permissions on the directory by clicking the Security tab.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
I believe you must first go to Folder Options>View and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing"

Now if the two laptops have differnet username, create the same username and password from the laptop you want access on the Pro machine and set it's username accordingly is the share permissions.

I THINK you can also add a computer name, Im not sure on this. I ususally just do a per user setup.

I'm getting there but when i get to the ADDING the name bit i cannot link to the laptop as there is only ID for the pro machine. If i add my ID of the laptop ,it just says not found.

Last edited:

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
You have to do it with USER permissions. Setup 2 differnet users on each laptop, add the user to the PRO machine you want to give access and give it access thru the Share Permissions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix