• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Proper way to configure a network?

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
I seem to have this problem on and off, and it's been happening since I had XP, then when I had Vista, and now when I have 7. I can never have my network working properly =(. Sometimes using computer names (\\comp_name) works, other times I have to force it by using the IP address because the other method says the host doesn't exist. I have no idea how to fix this issue and it's been driving me nuts for a very long time now. I don't mind reconfiguring my entire network, so don't hesitate to suggest that as long as you can provide steps :).
My router is issuing static DHCP ip addresses based on MAC addresses, other than that, there's nothing very special about the current configuration (no weird software firewalls, etc).

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
If you are using a regular router all you really have to do is hook the computers up to it. I have a network with windows 7 on all computers, and a print server. It works great. You might be hooking it up wrong, or have the setting wrongs. I would unhook everything, set everything to default, then re-hook everything up to see what it does ..

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
That's pretty much what I have right now, except that one computer is running Vista, the other is running XP, and the rest are running 7. When you say I should set everything to default, what exactly is there to set?

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seggar