Proper offsite backup setup needed.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi all,

Using a WinServer2008 server, with a virtual environment within it, I am faced with trying to figure out the best way to do daily & offsite backups with this mission critical dual Mysql setups.

The total size of the C:/ drive is now approx 65gigs. It is the only server in the workplace.

Maybe a single image backup of entire C: once a week through FTP while everything else is internal office?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Heeter

Unless all 65 gig is subject to change daily/weekly etc. doing an entire 65GB dump is not very productive.

Risk Assessment - adress each risk independently
-Simple hardware failure - traditionally just mirror the drive
-Complex hardware failure w/data corruption - requires periodic backup of everything
-Infection with data destruction - requires periodic backup of data
-Operator error - requires frequent back up of changed files

1) Mirror the HD's.
2) Make a periodic image of the drive(s) on changes (when upgrades are performed, etc.) and store the backups where they have physical security from theft or fire, etc. Keep 2-3 backups and rotate them. Keep one on site for rapid recovery.
3) Do an incremental backup every 1-4 hours using a utility that just scans for changed files. Can store on site, but in a seperate computer w/seperate protection on the power line, modems(preferably none), ethernet (prefereably an optical link), and connect no peripherals to avoid sneak failure paths.

You also have to have a process in place to recover data that is entered (submitted orders, etc.) but not backed up yet. This depends on how cirtical your data is.

Look for an off the shelf tool. We're using Connected Data Protector and it is a lot better than the last resource hog we used.

That ought to get you started.

Thanks Leejend.

That is exactly what I need to get started on devising a proper strategy for this.

I will need a piece of software to make this happen, sounds like that is a good for us too.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back