Promise Ultra 100 TX2

C

casper1

I am wonderting the promise Ultra ATA100 TX2 could support CD-ROM or CDR-W alone without connecting any HDD?

When i just connected the CDR-W... it detection during booting is much much slower....

then when i try to burn CD, the whole PC hang.( WinXP)

sometime, when there is CD inside..... it will show @@@@@@@ drive detected during its BIOS drive detection instead of showing D0 Liteon CDROM.

2. How the LED connection on the card is connected to the case HDD LED indicator? Is it possilble to connect the MBO HDD LED output parallel with the card's LED output to the casing LED indicator?

ive got the very same card in my computer, but i only use it for connecting the harddrive to the computer. i use the primary channel on the motherboard for the DVD-ROM and the secondary channel on the motherboard for CD-RW drive. the pc works fine and i dont have a problem with hanging or anythin like that.

i have asked a guy in the local computer shop if i could plug the dvd into the promise card an he said he wouldnt really recommend it if its working fine on the motherboard's connections.

I too have the Promise 100 card in my machine.

I purchased the card specficially to attach a new CD-R I had but found the computer would take ages to boot.

Having contacted Promise, they sent me a new BIOS for the card and recommended that I run the CD-R off the PC's IDE channels and leave the promise to my HD and IDE Zip drive.

I have my system configured as below and have had no problems with the CD-R.

PC Primary IDE Channel, 2 HD's (One used as Boot Drive) using cable select
PC Secondary IDE Channel, DVD-Drive set as Master
CD-RW set as Slave

Promise IDE Channel 1, HD using cable select
Promise IDE Channel 2, 250 Zip drive set as master.

I found that without a HD attached to the card, even with the new BIOS, I got boot errors. With the configuration above though. No such problems.

I do know people who run CD- off the card successfully but they are using 98. I myself run XP.

Guy

I seem to be having the same problem with a SIIG Ultra ATA133 card. I'm just trying to run two hard drives off of it (the only 2 I have) and XP takes forever to boot. Anyone have any ideas?

These cards are design for hard drives... Even though the manufactuters a=say cd-roms will work if you look some where it's always recommended you don't...

Its better off using the MB controller. I did try the ultra 100 card a while ago and all it did it gives me all sore of problems.

I have it set up so both of my hdd's are on the card. master on each channel. I'm still having major speed issues. should I just ditch the card all together? and if so, how would you set up the following

60 gig ata100
60gig ata133
HP 12x CDRW
Hitachi 12x DVD

I believe my MOBO is only ATA66 (or at least this is what HP tells me, bastards, I will never buy prebuilt again!)

from wat u guys response, it seems that the card is not handling optical devices well.

do u guys owning the same card have the following problem for WinXP:

the explorer sometime shows busy, windows task manager shows it is using 95-99% of CPU resource. thus the whole computer will lag down and even not responding. the only way to solve is end task the explorer.

i suspect is due to the hard disk connecting to this card, am i right?

just a suspect, cause can't find the source. even after format it still exist.

I am using the Promise TX2 Ultra ATA133 controller card for my two HDDs, both masters on each IDE channel. I have a DVD & CDRW drive connected to my motherboards primary IDE channel.

At 1st I had long delays on bootup, sometimes hanging on thebootup completely. So I had a little think, and moved the Promise card to my PCI slot1 (which was empty).

So far (2months) everything is working perfect, bootup is 25secs now.

Maybe you guys wanna try movin the controller card??

Stuy_b

The boot time yoy guys mention,,, is that including the time it takes for the card to load the drives?!? That always took a long time on my computer...

Options

Very interesting.
My system hangs on boot every time.
I am goint to try stuy_b's and GETanner's suggestions. Namely switching to cable select and slot 1.
Wish me luck.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back