PROJECT: Build my first Computer

Hello and welcome to the OSNN forums. ATi video cards do in fact work with the SLi boards (after you flash the bios), but I see no reason to do this since you cannot use them in SLI mode. I recommend buying the 6600GT, then you can buy another one if you so choose down the road. Also I see no need for a Hard-Drive cooler.. its a waste of money imo. Other than that.. it looks good. If you really wanted to go with the ATI video card I say change your motherboard to a Nforce 3 chipset and go with that.

Enjoy!

Aprox said:
If you really wanted to go with the ATI video card I say change your motherboard to a Nforce 3 chipset and go with that

is the nforce 3 SLI compatible?

If you are going to be moving the case around, eg, LAN parties, then beware of the weight of the Zalman. Safer to take it out when transporting. But if it is just going to sit on the desk then go for it. I've got a similar one & luv it. Looks kewl too. :D

No the Nforce 3 is not SLI compatible but either is the ATI X800 you picked :p

the Zalman weighs in at 600g, which is above the AMD rated spec for a HSF I think. This means that you will need to be carful when moving your computer around so that it doesnt rip the CPU and the Zif socket off the motherboard :)

Here's the home page for it>>>

All six hundred grams of it

Also the speed adjuster for the fan is a bit useless as it sits inside the case. I've got mine with the knob sticking out the back of the case, held there with a bit of twine. I'm overclocking so it is set to maximum anyway so no adjusting for me.

XION Black/Silver ATX Gaming PC Case With 450W PSU, Model "XON-002" - $70.49
-isn't it obvious why i picked this case, the [ X ] mmm, and the lights are aight, not bad i suppose (probably annoy the **** out of me though), do those have an off button?

-You can unplug- the lights if oyu don't liek them.

ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU - $189.00
-question, since its SLI does that mean i have to use TWO cards (requirement) or can i just use ONE for the time being and add the other later?
--You can use one or two video cards.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - $267.00
-is this good enough? i really want an FX-55 but that's ****ing 700+ so hell no, i was thinking of going 3000/3200? or just stick with this 3400+?
--You could go with a XP3200 that uses the new 90nm process. It runs cooler and should overclock nicely and comes with a HSF. Total savings of about $135 which you can put to your next upgrade (CPU, second sli, etc).

ZALMAN Aluminum + Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775/478/754/939/940, Model "CNPS7700-ALCU" - $44.99
-this seems a bit expensive, but it had the best ratings and looks real good (but idk ****), just compared it with others (help)
--Way over the AMD weight standard. One good shock to the case and the cpu socket could be ruined taking the MB and possibly the CPU with it.

Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722516VLSA80 Part# 13G0254 - $88.50 x 2
-is this a good brand? i was thinking of going with WD with Raid or whatever, would i need anything special like some cords or something since i'm gonna have DUAL DRIVES?
--I'd do Maxtor or WD. About the same price.

Vantec "HDC-502A" Aluminum Hard Disk Drive Cooler w/ 2 Fans - $11.99
-this i think i'm sure i need and good price! wtf is up with that CPU cooler though?
-- total waste of money. If the case is any good one of the case fans blows across the HD bay. IF it doesn't find a better case. Cases area all about cooling!

NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black, Model ND-3520A BK - $52.00 x 2
-i'm gonna have TWO of these, is it necessary? my friend told me to get TWO so i wouldn't have to save my movies onto my computer and waste space (rather burn from dvd to dvd)
-- WHy waste the money and power on 2. You can only use one at a time. High speed drive to drive copies are risky at best, lot of coasters involved. Save $50 for performance upgrades.

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "128-P2-N368-TX" -179.00 x 2
-mmm, eVGA. any opinions about this card? it has good ratings at cnet.com but it was the 6800 Ultra version.
--Ummm, I'm not sure I'd go SLI. Consider going with a single 6800 GT or with one of the DUal GPUs on a single card versions. One's out already and more on the way.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350" - $113.99
-yum, buying this for my logitech speakers (which i haven't bought yet) but would my integrated sound on my motherboard be good enough?
-- Integrated sound is good enough until you decide you want better.

Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel 184 Pin 2GB(2x 1GB) DDR PC-3200 w/ Blue Heatspreader - $278.35
-i've never heard of this brand but it was the cheapest and it has a lot of good ratings/reviews, stick to a trusted known brand or take the risk? so cheap though!
-- What makes you thing you'll need 2 gig? But if you do feel you need 2 gig make sure it is 2 stick not 4. You get a performance loss with the AMD cpu running 4. Unless you do video editing 1 gig is plenty. 2x512 stick of pc3200 is $91 for value ram or ~$120 for faster. Geil is ok. Corsair is good, micron and kingston ok. That geil sounds over priced.

looks good?
too much? (so far it's $1,359.81)
suggestions?
--If cash is tight you can shave about $400 off of that and upgrade as you get more cash.

*additional stuff (if my mom wants my computer & some 'goodies' mmm)
ACER AL1912b 19" Black LCD Monitor - $279.99
-is this a good brand? i was thinking of getting a viewsonic (seen it at best buy) and they look real nice (idk the price though), this one is pretty cheap though
-- AECR would not be considered a good brand. Viewsonic is the new Samsung check the reviews at www.tomshardware.com.

Logitech Z-2300 2.1 THX-Certified Speaker System - $112.00
-i'm buying these soon (just bought a new sound card), hehe

Compare prices at NEWEGG.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - $267.00
--You could go with a XP3200 that uses the new 90nm process. It runs cooler and should overclock nicely and comes with a HSF. Total savings of about $135 which you can put to your next upgrade (CPU, second sli, etc).
hmm, i was checking that XP3200 but i found none that has a 939 Socket. i'd have to change my motherboard and everything, but is the XP version newer? better? could you explain, if you don't mind.
EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "128-P2-N368-TX" -179.00 x 2
--Ummm, I'm not sure I'd go SLI. Consider going with a single 6800 GT or with one of the DUal GPUs on a single card versions. One's out already and more on the way.
yeah but it cost so much, i'll at most only being playing Half-Life 2 (cs:s), would 2 6600GTs compare with 1 6800Ultra?

Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel 184 Pin 2GB(2x 1GB) DDR PC-3200 w/ Blue Heatspreader - $278.35
-- What makes you thing you'll need 2 gig? But if you do feel you need 2 gig make sure it is 2 stick not 4. You get a performance loss with the AMD cpu running 4. Unless you do video editing 1 gig is plenty. 2x512 stick of pc3200 is $91 for value ram or ~$120 for faster. Geil is ok. Corsair is good, micron and kingston ok. That geil sounds over priced.
i'm only getting this bc of the combo deal and it's cheaper compared to buying 2x512, just a better buy in my opinion

but thanks for all your help though, you really took time to look over my noob-specs. thanks!:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back