Program Files on a different drive...

• Thread starter »eNj0y_iNCuBuS
  • Start date
»

»eNj0y_iNCuBuS

I have windows installed on a 3 gig partition and I store everything on another 37 gig partition. I have my temp folders and my documents on the 37 but i want to also set it up to by default install into D:\Program Files rather than C:\Program Files. Also I would like to move the whole Documents and Settings over to the D:\.

hmmm, I know how to do it in 2k, it involves regediting and changing the userprofile...I got how to do it from the help and support center..but there isn't an article I could find for XP and I don't want you to go mess up your reg, so i'll look around

If you go into TweakUI (Part of Powertoys XP) you can change the default locations for things like Programs (from start menu), My Docs, My Music, etc. Program Files and Documents and Settings may not be moveable. Docs&Sets I can see being immovable because some of that is "system software" and really should reside on the Windows drive. Program Files, you'll just have to install any new software to D:\Program Files\ by hand. Pretty much every program will let you do this, but the stuff that comes on the C: drive stays there. Hope this isn't too disappointing...
/L.A

Ycan assign one or more drive paths to a primary partition, a logical drive, or a simple volume on a dynamic disk. Assigning a drive path creates a mounted volume, which appears as a folder within an NTFS- formatted drive that has a letter assigned to it. Besides allowing you to sidestep the limitation of 26 drive letters, mounted volumes offer these two advantages:

You can extend storage space on an existing drive that’s running low on free space. For instance, if your digital music collection has outgrown your drive C, you can create a More Music folder in C:\My Music. Assign a drive path from a new partition to the More Music folder and you’ve increased the effective storage by the size of the new volume.

Make commonly used files available in multiple locations. Say you have an enormous collection of clip art that you store on drive X, and each user hasa folder in his or her My Documents folder where they store desktop publishing files. In each of those personal folders, you can create a subfolder called Clipart and assign a drive path to the X partition. That way, the entire clip-art collection is always available from any user’s desktop publishing folder, without requiring them to manage shortcuts or worry about changing drive letters.

To create a mounted drive, follow these steps:

From the Disk Management utility, right-click the volume you want to change (in either the volume list at the top of the window or the graphical view at the bottom), and choose Change Drive Letter And Paths.
Click Add to open the Add Drive Letter Or Path dialog box.
Select Mount In This NTFS Folder (this is the only option available if the volume already has an assigned drive letter).
Click the Browse button. The Browse For Drive Path dialog box that appears shows only NTFS volumes, and the OK button is enabled only if you select an empty folder. Browse to the location where you want to create the drive path and then select an empty folder, or click New Folder to create one.

Click OK to add the selected location in the Add Drive Letter Or Path dialog box and then click OK to create the drive path.
You can manage files and subfolders in a mounted volume just as if it were a regular folder. If a volume is mounted to a folder located in the root of a drive, it appears in Windows Explorer as a drive icon. However, if the volume is mounted to a subfolder in any other location, the mounted volume appears in Windows Explorer as a folder icon, indistinguishable from a regular file folder. In that case, the only way to tell that this folder is different from other folders is to right-click the folder icon, choose Properties, and then inspect the General tab. The Type field appears as Mounted Volume, and the Target field identifies the label of the volume that actually contains the files.

If you use the Dir command in a Command Prompt window to display a folder directory, a mounted volume is identified as <JUNCTION> (for junction point, another name for mounted volume), whereas ordinary folders are identified as <DIR> (for directory, the MS-DOS term for a folder).

caution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When creating mounted volumes, avoid creating loops in the structure of a drive—for example, by creating a drive path from drive X that points to a folder on drive D and then creating a drive path on drive D that points to a folder on drive X. Windows allows you do this, but it’s invariably a bad idea, because an application that opens subfolders (such as a search) can go into an endless loop.
To see a list of all the mounted drives on your system, open the Disk Management utility and choose View, Drive Paths. Note that you can remove drive paths from this dialog box; if you do so, the folder remains in the same spot where it was previously located, but it reverts to being a regular, empty folder.

also you can make a d:\programs and place a shortcut on c:\

that might also map all progs to d:\programs

good luck
hope this helps a little

GO DRUCE!! HE'S ON FIRE!! I think sum1 should answer his logon screen question now...don't be so mean...:p

its really not me who knows all this, its my trusty book (pats the book) - although, i'd like to think i know something now and then... lol

hey i just formatted my computer and partition. The weird thing is the my drive came out this way
HARD DRIVE 1
C: drive (primary partition) 4.3 GB
E: drive (extended partition/logical drive) 32 GB
HARD DRIVE 2
D: drive (primary partition) 35 GB
F: drive (primary partition) 39 GB

i wanna know, why e-drive is difference from all the other drive, and its that anything wrong? also what is extended partition, what does it do?

Primary's are for operating systems. Logicals for storage. I think you can still create another primary but the logical has to be there. Some Windows limitation or something. If you wanted four primary's you could possible get another one from the E drive. Don't quote me. It's been a long time since I had four primary's. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back