Program called bargains.exe keeps popping up?

A

AaronMcarthur

I'm running Windows XP Pro and the error reporting that XP has, I keep having a error report that comes up about once a day called "bargains.exe" and it says it needs to close so I close it. It runs in ZoneAlarm. How can I fix this and what is it?

Hmm... Guessing the error is because it's a spyware app trying to get out, and ZA wont let it. Do you have Limewire or some similar app installed? Found this bit of info on the net...

Limewire contains a piece of sypware called "Bargains.exe," but you can uninstall that from your system's control panel

tis about halfway down this page.

Originally posted by AaronMcarthur
.. I keep having a error report that comes up about once a day called "bargains.exe" and it says it needs to close so I close it. It runs in ZoneAlarm.

This is what you find about this .exe file when you search for it using google. It is spyware. I would run Lavasoft AdAware and remove it straight away. If it runs in Zone Alarm, you must have given it permission to do so. Be more careful what you give permission to, or change your firewall.

bargains - bargains.exe - Bargain Buddy - spyware Remove from PC!!!

Cheers, EJ :cool:

Ad-aware hasn't been updated for months - and it won't be until the new release next month. Meanwhile, try SpyBot instead. It's updated at least weekly. Just be sure to only delete those items in RED

I removed it from ZoneAlarm so it should be gone. I have Kazaa, WinMX, and Grokster installed. Who is spying on me anyway?

I removed it from ZoneAlarm so it should be gone. I have Kazaa, WinMX, and Grokster installed. Who is spying on me anyway?

Removing it from ZoneAlarm will only stop the program from accessing the internet (calling home). I would remove it fully, since then you don't run into any risks in case your firewall fails. You also free up system resources by doing so.

I just searched for it and deleted it, then searched for it in the Registry, is that better?

I just searched for it and deleted it, then searched for it in the Registry, is that better?

Hey, I am just saying what I would do. If you like spyware on your pc, go ahead and leave it right there.

However, IMHO you did the right thing. FYI: You can stop most programs from starting by removing them from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back