Professional and Home editions, the differences?

R

ronenph1

Hi,

is there a difference between those two versions except that the Pro is more for big organizations and has more network options?

I mean, like difference between Win2k and Me?
Like the fact that the Win2k doesn't work well with directx and 3c games?

Does the WinXP Pro have problems with games like the Win2k has, and the Home edition works better with games, like the Me works better with games than the Win2k?

If you can go with Pro it will run anything just fine

Pro vs Home

All you will lose in the home ver. is some of the networking stuff.

I have Pro in this putter and Home on a friends putter.. You cant even tell them apart.... For the average person, Home will do just fine.... It will run all the games just the same as Pro.

:cool:

Originally posted by ronenph1
Hi,

is there a difference between those two versions except that the Pro is more for big organizations and has more network options?

I mean, like difference between Win2k and Me?
Like the fact that the Win2k doesn't work well with directx and 3c games?

Does the WinXP Pro have problems with games like the Win2k has, and the Home edition works better with games, like the Me works better with games than the Win2k?

The only difference with Home & Pro are with the networking & security.

You dont have support for complex networking like an organisation would have, so for home use thats fine.

You dont have the same security options, but again for home use you dont need it.

XP-Home is great IMO, you get the stability and power of XP Pro, just without fancy network support, and afew security issues..so what!! For home use who needs it!?

Go here see for yourself..
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Stuy_b

home does not come with msconfig, gpedit, and you can't do some domain things, you can not log in as the administrator, unless you're in safe mode, technically;

This info is from Labmice.net

XP Professional and XP Home Edition share the same kernel (the "guts" of the operating system), and this kernel is based on the Windows 2000 operating system. The differences between them are in the level of security they provide, networking capabilities, and advanced features. For business users, Windows XP Professional is very similar to Windows 2000 in it's feature set. XP Professional supports multiple processors, multiple monitors (up to 9), Group Policy. Encrypting File System, Dynamic Disks, IIS, a built in backup program, and advanced networking capabilities (such as IPSec.) All of these features are missing from XP Home Edition. Another important distinction between the two versions is that XP Home Edition cannot join a Windows NT/2000 domain. If you wish to network with other PC's in your home or office, you must be part of a workgroup. If you're a "power user" purchasing Windows XP for your personal workstation, Windows XP Professional is a better choice than Home Edition, if you can afford the price difference.

3d

thanx for the information guys,
but, does 3d games work the same on both editions?
3d software work the same?

Yes... Like I said way up on the posts.... XP and Home will play your games (2d and 3d) all the same.........

:cool:

Originally posted by dealer
home does not come with msconfig.

Errr, yes it does :D

Hey dealer, hows the girlfriend, apparently you can see right through her :D

Originally posted by Bytes back

Errr, yes it does :D

H:D

believe it or not, some xp homes have msconfig, and some do not.

probably something to do with which issue you have, mine is one of the very first xp homes, preinstalled, and it came without msconfig...there is not even a referance to it in help....no big deal, msconfig is easy enough to download

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back