Processor Problems

SkazzyUK

XP-erience Oldie
Hiya,

I have just purchsed a AMD Athlon XP 2000 to upgrade from my XP 1700,

Got it quite cheap so is worth the extra few hundred Mhz,

Anyhow, I have a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ which supports up to 2.20Ghz I am pretty sure, but it certainly supports the XP 2000, I updated the BIOS to latest version, then removed my XP 1700 and replaced with the new XP 2000, turned on the pc, nothing comes up on the screen, just stays blank, tried it in ma bros pc, he has the same mobo and it worked fine and he has same BIOS version.

Any ideas?

(i know it was in correctly, as i attempted quite a few times)

Skazz

Yank all your cards and try it with just your memory and vid card in, and see what happens. Also try clearing your BIOS settings.

Remove all my cards!! I have millions of cards, you really think this is the easiest option? I think I'll prolly break on of them or somit!

Skazz

well if it works in your brother motherboard, and its the same model and bios, then there is something in your system that the new CPU dos not like. Or you somehow killed you MOBO when you took out the old chip. Have you tried the old chip again?

Yea using it at the mo, I think I put the screwdriver through my bro's mobo tho ! it turns on for about 5 seconds then just turns off lol, ow well he'll have to buy a new one lol lol

skazz

Those Athlon Heatsink are a b!tch.:p

Did you try clearing the BIOS on your MOBO after you put in the new CPU?

Originally posted by skazzyuk
Yea using it at the mo, I think I put the screwdriver through my bro's mobo tho ! it turns on for about 5 seconds then just turns off lol, ow well he'll have to buy a new one lol lol

skazz

thats pretty cold man if I was your bro I would blacken your eye:mad:

buuuut since I'm not try resetting your cmos then putting it in.

Ok, how do you manage to put a screwdriver THROUGH the mobo?

Ok, Did you also make sure to install the heatsink, and fan and plug the fan into the mobo? With most mobo if the system doesn't detect the fan the system will not start up. Were you OC'in your old system? Did you have the bios OC'ed? You can also try setting the mobo to 100mhz and see if the system will come up that way. If it works that way but not at 133mhz on the mobo your heatsink is not seated properly. (ran into this problem when I built my system).

If none of this works, strip the entire system down to the mobo, meaning disconnect and remove EVERYTHING(including the processor), grab the little spanish boy named "manual" and start over.

First clear the bios and set the mobo to 100mhz, next install the processor, (again refer to "manual" on the proper procedure), then the video card, then install 1 memory board only (if you have more than 1), boot the system.

If the system does not start, there is a problem within these 3 components. If it does start, shut it down, switch the mobo to 133 mhz, start the system.

If it does not start, reseat the heatsink and check the CPU fan.
If it does start, shut if off, install the remianing RAM 1 board at a time and make sure that the system starts after each board.

Continue installing PCI cards 1 at a time, checking for system startup after each. Install the your harddrive LAST! This will eliminate any software other than the bios from being the cause of any problems.

Let us know how it turns out.

I was trying to take the heatsink off his CPU and the screwdriver slipped, didnt go through it, but it made a reasnobly nasty scratch (very small, only just visable) ow well new MSI mobo for him :p

Skazz

Originally posted by skazzyuk
I was trying to take the heatsink off his CPU and the screwdriver slipped, didnt go through it, but it made a reasnobly nasty scratch (very small, only just visable) ow well new MSI mobo for him :p

Skazz

Evil. :eek:

Originally posted by Krux
thats pretty cold man if I was your bro I would blacken your eye:mad:

I think I have to go with Krux on that one. I know if anyone, friend or family, put a hole through any of my components, they would be buying me a new one in short order or risk personal injury. :)

I think that krux and scriptasylum need an anger management program. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back