Processes run on 1 cpu (in HT system) only

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
Hello,

I have this strange problem, without any changes made to system, os or bios (as far as I know anyway): all of a sudden the processes in the taskmanager run on 1 CPU only. I have hyperthreading turned on in the BIOS but they all run on CPU 2 only.

Is there a registrysetting to enable/disable a cpu on a HT system? In devicemanager there are no problems, "both" cpu's show up in the devicelist.

Who can help?

Thanks
Hans

Last edited:

LordOfLA

Godlike!
If you could run applications on a second cpu with HT I'd be wondering where my second chip came from. HT = 1CPU that runs 2 threads at a time.

If windows doesn't schedule tasks to the "Virtual" cpu it obviously doesn't need to.

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
Yeah, just because Windows shows there are two processors, it doesn't mean you have 2 processors. This is true with the Pentium 4 HT processors. The processor like mentioned before shows a "Virtual" CPU along with a "Physical" CPU. There is only 1 CPU on your machine, 1 Core. But runs 2 threads much like a dual core would. Does this perform equal to a dual core? The answer is NO.

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
wow, what a top that was.

LordOfLA

Godlike!
Dual core will happily run more than 2 threads faster than HT :) as will single core CPU's that are not netburst based :)

ray_gillespie

Staff member
Political User
I thought he meant that his HT CPU is only showing up a single graph on his CPU usage history. A HT CPU should show up as two graphs as Windows treats it as two.

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
I thought he meant that his HT CPU is only showing up a single graph on his CPU usage history. A HT CPU should show up as two graphs as Windows treats it as two.
This is correct. Even though my BIOS is setup as "hyperthreading enabled" under taskmanager the programs only run under "CPU 1" and nothing runs under "the other CPU" although "both CPU's" are visible as a graph.

Specially for MS Flightsimulator I want to have FS9 run under "CPU 1" and the rest of the few necessary programs under "CPU2"

Thanks so far

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
ohhhh.... I'm sure you've tried Disabling HT in the bios, then starting windows, then restarting, then enabling HT. Otherwise, try updating your bios.

LordOfLA

Godlike!
you cant dictate what cpu stuff runs on. Thats down to the windows thread scheduler. I twill balance loads if it deems it necessary, but it knows thats not too helpful with HT anyway.

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
ohhhh.... I'm sure you've tried Disabling HT in the bios, then starting windows, then restarting, then enabling HT. Otherwise, try updating your bios.
Yes tried this too. Didn't work....

It is not such a big problem, everything runs well anyway. Would just like to know why it happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pancake