Processes Being Used

N

Not Bman

For the past couple days this process has been using alot of resources....

I end it, and Windows Defender comes up with errors and such..

Last edited by a moderator:
MsMpEng.exe is a process belonging to Microsoft Windows Defender Antispyware which protects your computer against Internet-bound threats such as spyware and trojans which can be distrubuted through e-mail or attack directly to the computer allowing unauthorized access to your computer. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

If you are wondering about its high resources...I found this thread on the MS one care board
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=352634&SiteID=2

that didn't really help, it's people talking about the problem, but I did not see any fixes??

mastershakes, u make sense, but I don't know if I want too

I did the other week, as a similar issue (not quite the same) was happening. Downloaded the latest Defender version (I think they've released two)

and installed it. My issue? Checked, and defender had not been updating itself, and not scanning as I set it up. So I uninstalled, installed new version, and she seems OK right now.

Bman™ said:
that didn't really help, it's people talking about the problem, but I did not see any fixes??

You have to remember that this is still a "beta". Windows Defender still has a few bugs. As mastershakes mentioned, reinstalling might resolve your issue.

The following is based on an average memory usage:
Process for Defender:

MsMpEng.exe

8.1MB Memory usage during real time protection (background)
8.8MB Memory usage during scanning

11.2MB Virtual memory during real time protection (background)
11.4MB Virtual memory during scanning

Process: MSASCui.exe

4.5MB Memory usage during real time protection (background)
5.2MB Memory usage during scanning

9.2MB Virtual Memory during real time protection (background)
9.4MB Virtual Memory during scanning

If you are worried about its high usage. You could just set the service to disabled and start it whenever you want to perform a scan. So whenever you need to perform a scan just start Windows Defender and services and disable them upon scan finish. but this defeats the purpose of having it run in the background

that does defeat the purpose, I guess I will uninstall and reinstall..

mastershakes, got a link to the version u are using?

hmm alright, I'll just reinstall the one I have

thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back