probs with msn behind router

ludlo

OSNN Addict
im using a zyxel router and isdn... when i try to send a file over msn it fails, but if i connect via 56k whitout the router it works fine. is there any way to get it to work?

Make sure that the Messaging port(s) (the port(s) MSN uses to send and receive data) are opened. What ports you must define and how to configure the router, I don't know, as I don't have any experience on this area.
The reason I know an answer, is that I heard more about this problem and this was usually the solution given.

it worked fine but after i installed xp sp1 it started to fail again...all ports are open

sooo can it be something with sp1?

Originally posted by ludlo
im using a zyxel router and isdn... when i try to send a file over msn it fails, but if i connect via 56k whitout the router it works fine. is there any way to get it to work?

To enable file transfers, enable both incoming and outgoing TCP connections to the 6891-6900 range of TCP ports. This allows each sender to perform up to 10 simultaneous file transfers. Note that if only TCP port 6891 is open, users are only able to perform one file transfer at a time.

To enable messaging, enable outgoing TCP connections to TCP port 1863

it works when you are using your dial-up connection because you are bypassing the router.

it worked fine but after i installed xp sp1 it started to fail again...all ports are open

sooo can it be something with sp1

the ports used probably changed with sp1

There is a simple solution go into the windows registry
HKEY LOcal Machine>>>System>>>

now in here go into ControlSet001>>>>services>>>>TCPIP>>>>LINKAGE

in here the Route and BIND should be the same, if BIND is different then make sure the Bind values are replaced by the values of Route, do the same for ControlSet001 and CurrentControlSet, restart ur PC and try

na that didnt work either... checked the settings five times...exactly the same, not from the beginning but changed bind to rout as you said...dosent work.

got any other idea?

This might seem pretty basic but dont forget that problems with file transfers can be at either end. Have you tried sending files to more than one of the people on your contact list to verify that you cant send to anyone? Can you receive files? Is the person that you are trying to send a file to able to receive files from other people?

Also check your Event Viewer if the problem only started fairly recently to see if there are any entries that might indicate that a program or process having a problem could possibly be contributing to your file transfer problems.

Ive tried sending to basicly all of my contacs, driving them crazy :)

Yes they are able to both send and recive, but i can only recive as it is now. Checked my event logger, nothing special about it...

no firewall, no blocked ports, no programs accesing internet or network but msn...

The only other thing I can suggest that hasn't been suggested before is to just use ICQ or Yahoo for the file transfers. Personally I prefer ICQ for transferring files.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back