Problems with XP Sound

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys, ive had no luck and no replies on the bugs board. You see, my sound works fine, but every now and then the Windows Sound kicks out. Clicking a link, popping up a menu, even minimizing a window. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. The rest of the other sounds work fine, but it really bugs me that the windows sounds are cutting out.

So, does someone have any idea?

go into the sound scheme and create a custom sound scheme, then try it ..... some of the default sounds in you XP may be corrupted.....

This error sometimes occurs when you install winamp or MP3 players as they remove some association of XP sound files

Yup, I think that was it. I do use winamp a lot, and do have it installed. I went to my sounds and the ones that I am used to hearing werent there. :) So I just did what you said and now they work.

But question: If I use Winamp again, will they cancel out again?

Well I answered my own question. Winamp didnt screw the sounds up again, so they should be good to go.

Nope, sorry mine wasnt like that. Basically I remember originally setting up my sounds. THen after awhile I noticed that those windows sounds werent playing. Didnt know why, I mean EVERYTHING ELSE would still make sounds, but like menu select and what not wouldnt.

I went into my sounds control and they werent even there, hehe. I did what max told me to do, made a custom sound scheme, and its working fine. I think the weirdest problem I have EVER had with sound, was when I first bought my computer...

You see, with it it was like, one thing would have sound "priority". Windows sounds would be it, but then if I turned on Winamp the only thing I would ever hear would be winamp. I hadnt changed any settings...Dunno. Every time I tried to update my sound card drivers, they would screw up in the middle of the installation I think if I remember...and thus they wouldnt be updated.

Then one day they worked when I did my driver updates. They worked fine. :) And then it was as if I can listen to a billion things at once, winamp with windows sounds, hell even two winamps...everything that had sounds would make the sounds with everything else, no one sound would take up the sound card and hog it...

Then I had to format again, so I was worried that the sounds wouldnt work and they would go back to normal...wrong. They still worked the way they should have, no sound cancelled the other out. I dont get it, factory default they dont work right. Update works...then factory default again but it sitll works.

*Shrugs* In fact now that im reminded, I had to format to install windows. :) Time to update again, hehe. :p

Originally posted by Punkrulz
Hey guys, ive had no luck and no replies on the bugs board. You see, my sound works fine, but every now and then the Windows Sound kicks out. Clicking a link, popping up a menu, even minimizing a window. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. The rest of the other sounds work fine, but it really bugs me that the windows sounds are cutting out.

So, does someone have any idea?

What soundcard is it?

Is it conflicting/sharing any IRQs with another device?

No no no, you are getting the wrong Idea guys. :)

1) The problem is FIXED. No more problem.

2) SOunds worked except windows sounds, menu click, menu select, restore up, etc. They were re-associated to nothing adn thus had no sounds for the selection. :) Every other sound worked though.

I have also noticed when you install Real Player or any other program which associates file types which XP wants to use , there are some small conflicts..

Does anyone know a manual way to force file associations ?

Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types.

Think that what your looking for...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back