Problems with XP and ALL Games!

• Thread starter firefly2442
  • Start date
F

firefly2442

I currently have Windows XP Home edition.
-GeForce 2 Ultra with the latest drivers from Nvidia
-Refresh rate set at 75 hz
-1.5 Gig cpu
-512 MB of RAM
-Just upgraded from ME to XP

None of my games work. When I try to run a game. Let's say GTA3, I put the CD in and click the shortcut and the screen goes black for a second and clicks like it does when the resolution changes. Then I end up at the XP desktop with the game in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. When I click the program in the taskbar to bring it up it repeats itself with the blackscreen and I'm back to the desktop. All of my games do this. What do I need to do?

-Thank You.

Have you tried compatability mode? Look in the start menu. 'Program Compatability Wizard'.

Drivers

Yep, tried that.

My Nvidia driver version is 2.9.4.2

is that up to date?

And what about my BIOS or Flash or something. I was reading about that on another post I think. How do I update that or should that show up in the windows update?

Same issue here i just made a thread about it before you...lol...no fix yet other than try and try till the game runs i think.

To update the bios you have to go to the mother board manufacturer site. Be careful though, one wrong move & it's history. Make sure you have the right one & follow those instructions to the letter.

maybe you already checked, but look in microsoft's list of games that don't run properly on win xp, helluva lots of 'em man..

but i think there's a patch provided by microsoft...

sorry man, can't help more, i no gamer, just play fifa 2002 & world cup 2002 (which s*x)

and yea, nfs too ;)

I've heard of many problems due to upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. The best solution is to do a clean install of Windows XP or do an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP.

P.S. 2002 Fifa World Cup is an alright game, yet I wish they had something like Winning Eleven 6 on PC.

Have you got the latest compatibilty patches & critical updates ??

If you upgraded to XP, use detonator destroyer @ 3dguru.com, if that doesn't work, a clean install would be the best bet.

Do yourself a favor and perform a clean install. You should have no problems then.

As some have said, you need to have all the updates. Got to Microsoft to get them.

GTA3 is supported by Windows XP so there is not really a need for the compatibility wizard.

If it still doesn't work...reinstall XP.

Also, cool friend said in a post that there is a list from Microsoft on which games work under XP and which don't. Where can I find this list?

works for me

I am using win XP Corp edition(pro). All games work fine for me. I did due a clean install, check for updated hardware,chipset drivers and WinXP updates including directx b4 installing anything else.

Following this ritual, I can say( knock on wood ) I have not had any problems running games. Except for TFC. Small issue though, when I decide to change servers, I need to back out and restart the app or all I get is sound.

Hope this helps.
PS, anyone with any ideas on my issue, HELP>>>hehe

GOOD DAY TO YOU ALL..:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back