Problems with Windows XP Pls help

• Thread starter o0_Enigma_0o
  • Start date
O

o0_Enigma_0o

Hi guys..

I got a call last week from a user having problems with there computer...

When they log into the computer they have no task bar...

I tryed to create a new user profile... but this seemed to end up the same...

I logged in a admin for the desktop and that profile seemed ok... well it had a task bar... i attempted to copy some files from the winxp cd so i could do a install over the top of the existing XP and found i dont have any copy of paste functions...

Also The networking does not work... when I access Network connections it says the network connection service is not running... I try to run it and says its failed...

is there anything i can do? I have run the antivirus software and cleaned some small problems but the computer seems to be f**ked... :(

Thanks in advance for your help..

Kirk

Is the taskbar set to auto-hide? Verify the Workstation service is set to running as well for the Network Services not working properly.

Hi,

The taskbar is not set to autohide, it was locked but unlocking it does not do anything :(

I have checked the workstation service and it is stopped... when i try to start it i get the following message:

Could not start the workstation service on local computer

Error 2: the systems cannot find the file specified

Also... when i try and view the services it seems to hang untill i click the standard tab at the bottom...

Cheers

If you can't find files needed to start/run services, I would try a sfc /scannow next.

I will try that as soon as i get to work tomorrow morning :)
Cheers pal..

is there anything i can try after that because i guess you will be in blanket bay (bed) when i go to work tomorrow ;)

bare in mind that if you have updates installed and you run that it will ask you to put the xp disc in the pc but, may not find the files its looking for from the disc, as the ones it wants may be newer from the installed updates. in saying that, that's the issue i had with using that command, it may work for you :)

Disc should be inserted for sfc /scannow anyways - but that's a good point, most updates will have to be re-installed after that completes.

Hi guys..

I have ran through the SFC command and it took a while but didnt tell me anything...

everything still seems broken...

I told the user I am goign to start from scratch and wipe the HD but he said no wait... I have important data on there...
He is now looking though his HD to get what he needs...

Problem is.. the copy and paste bit still dont work...
So i cant even copy his data to an external Hard drive... Is there a quick fix for the copy and paste function?

Cheers

Kirk

I would assume at the Enterprise/Small Business level you have a backup option? Try something like Norton Ghost, Disk Image - whatever you have

If you don't, you could slave his hard drive and hook it up to another PC. That way, you would rely on the other machines copy/paste, not the machine that is so messed up.

Hi,

Didnt want to go down the route of removing the HD.. so i followed this : http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
It tells you how to make a windows XP SP1 cd into a SP2 cd...
Anyway... I put the CD in and did a full upgrade install..

Seems to have done the trick...

I am now able to work on it via remote desktop so i can do virus scans on it again :)

Cheers

Kirk

PS. kcnychief are you interested in music? check my website... i am having problems with getting people to it... any ideas?

.......Wasn't really sure you wanted to go that route, but it's good you created a CD with SP2 as things are always better that way. If you are interested in it, there are plenty of other sites out there dedicated to slipstreaming - you can get really creative especially with recent releases of WMP11 and IE7, as well as many other critical updates that you would still need to download/install if you are only as recent as SP2.

My personal opinion would be to just backup the data now and do a clean install, who knows what may pop up a week or a month down the road with that inherited installation - but that is your call. I suppose it could be something to keep an eye on for a little while and decide from there.

Slipstreaming is crazy... Can you even add extra bits to install for instance office... ?

also I have already said to the guy he can keep it for 1 week only :)

Said he needs to move the files he wants and I will do a fresh install...

Least it works for now tho :)

Thanks for you help

Kirk

Kewl looks very good I will download it and have a play :)
Might need to install Virtual Machine Again and get some new systems installed with it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back