Problems with VIA board after bios flash

digerati

OSNN Addict
I have a PC Chips M811LU motherboard running with a duron 950.

I just flashed it to the latest bios and now it won't read from the CDRom of hard drive after successfully posting.

The flash went fine and I can still go into the bios and change settings but every time it starts up, it posts fine but then hangs when it normally would be reading the CDrom or Hard drive. It wouldn't load XP, and I used a blank drive and it wouldn't read the XP install CD from the cd drive to install a fresh copy.

It also doesnt read the floppy drive so I can't flash the bios back to the previous version which i saved.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be? The system worked fine for over a year before I flashed it. PCChips hasn't responded to my email yet. I just can't figure what the problem migh be since it post's fine, beeps and all, just wont follow up with the reading from the drives.

Maybe you could flash it once more with the latest bios update because, eventhough the flashing process went right, something unnoticable may have gone wrong...
Same idea, you could also revert back to the previous bios...
One way or another, it could possibly put things right again, I hope this for you ! ;)

Howling Wolf said:
Maybe you could flash it once more with the latest bios update because, eventhough the flashing process went right, something unnoticable may have gone wrong...
Same idea, you could also revert back to the previous bios...
One way or another, it could possibly put things right again, I hope this for you ! ;)

ummm

his floppy also does not work....

Nothing really i can suggest other than reset bios to defaults...

remove all cards and all memory and cables.

leave only video and one memory stick and your floppy.

try to boot.

also try to lower your fsb

snipe from somewhere said:
03-18-2005, 08:01 AM

I found this else where, it may help you:
Reset your 100/133 jumper to 100
This SHOULD allow you to boot.
Change your memory timings, in CMOS, to 'Manual' and 133.
Reboot.
Shutdown and move the 100/133 jumper BACK to 133

This is the source: http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142-bin/cgi-bin/ibrd/forums.cgi?forum=5

Last edited:
SIgh. Quote from bios update websites:

"Flashing your bios should only be done if the version of bios fixes a specific problem you are having."

Flash it back to the old version. Bios flashing is only if you need it. It can screw up a good system.

LeeJend said:
SIgh. Quote from bios update websites:

"Flashing your bios should only be done if the version of bios fixes a specific problem you are having."

Flash it back to the old version. Bios flashing is only if you need it. It can screw up a good system.
Yeah I don't know what it is but this and formatting seem to be "the thing to do" these days.

Xie, rofllmfao. Look at the OSNN banner ads. 2 of the 4 are for bios updaters. Maybe that answers your question?

I appreciate all the info and ideas.

I cannot reflash my bios as I stated in my OP and someone else noted, none of my drives work. The system hangs right at the point it would normally start reading from the first drive in the boot sequence. I've tried disconnecting the PSU and clearing the CMOS, then going into the bios and loading the "optimized" and "safe" settings on separate attempts. None of it has worked.

The FSB is currently set to 100mhz though I'll check again to make sure.

I've flashed mobo bios's countless times without problem and am well aware of the typical warning about whether you should or not. The system was running fine, but I was planning on installing some updated hardware and it was having occasional problems with my HP USB printer, so I figured it was reasonable to give it a flash since the bios it had was quite old. The process went without a hitch until it was time to reboot.

Anyhow, PCChips replied to my email with a bios attachment and the suggestion to reflash. Too bad my drives won't read :)

Anyhow, I'm currently at a loss at what to do. Thankfully, if worse comes to worse, newegg still has the board at only $25.

Thanks all again.

Maybe it would be a good time to upgrade :cool:

digerati said:
I've tried disconnecting the PSU and clearing the CMOS, then going into the bios and loading the "optimized" and "safe" settings on separate attempts. None of it has worked.
If you can make into the bios there should be a setting to reset it to defaults. I would try that and then reboot, then go back into bios and try and set it up the way it was before you flashed it as a last shot.

If the board supports boot from USB devices try loading the flash program and bios file on a thumb drive.

Problem with flashing is one mistake and you have to repalce the bios chip to recover. Cheaper and easier ot buy a new MB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back