problems with partition.

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
i am about to format my HDD but want to put a little aside to hold backup data.

i dont really know how to create a partition but i went into dos typed A:/fdisk enabled large disk support went to create a partition and it says i dont have enough space but i do have 9GIG free i then got partition magic tried to create a partition it only allowed about 3GIG and then didnt even create, i clicked apply on tasks pending and then nothing happened after that

whats the easiest and quickest way to create a partition of around 8GIG that actually works?:huh:

Under what operating system? 98, ME, 2000, XP?

You don't need to reformat a drive to create a data only partition on it if you have partition magic or XP. (I don't know about 2000).

fdisk is useless unless you have 98/ME (and I'm not sure I'd call it any better than useless on 98/ME ).

Creating a usable disk is three step process.

1 Install HD and make sure the bios sees it during boot.
2 Format the disk.
3 Create the partition(s) / assign drive letters.

"Disk management" handles the last 2 in Win XP, Fdisk did the job in 98/ME. Fdisk will require you to trash the entire disk to change partitions. XP or partition magic can do it (hopefully) without data loss.

Partition Magic can do it for both XP and 98/ME, but until you learn partition magic it is not obvious how to use it.

You probably missed a step when using partition magic so there was no valid change to apply. I suggest reformating and staring from scratch with partition magic.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back