problems with my computer and tv in the sam room

L

lee_uk

when i have my computer on and my tv on at the same time on say bbc 2 there will be lines on he tv also on channel 4 help!!!

wtf? thats wierd.. I have my laptop right next to my tv and I dont have any lines... maybe yr screen is making radiation or something?

a laptop is not a CRT tube to cause the lines.

anyway its magnetic interfearence causing the problem. i used to get it with my cheap 19" monitor as it had no shielding. now the cheap 19" is the slave monitor on the table next to me well out the way of the telly, i now have a 19" pro hansol monitor and it has a magnectic shield all the way round the inside of the case and does not allow the TV to interfere with it.

ok then so it is my monitor and not bits inside my computer?

I used to have my TV set on my (small) desk quite close to this lovely huge CRT with no problem :confused:

just try moving the monitor and TV a bit further apart, if the problem dissapears then you know its the monitor causing it.

Yes it is your monitor causing the problem. I have 2 monitors side by side and one of them doesn't have good shielding, they both have 1 line taking about 26 seconds to travel, one going up on one monitor and one going down on the other monitor. It's only one line since they are both at ~60hz (ouch)

would i have this problem if i had a TFT or a LCD screen?

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
I used to have my TV set on my (small) desk quite close to this lovely huge CRT with no problem :confused:

must had a shield in it then :)

Originally posted by lee_uk
would i have this problem if i had a TFT or a LCD screen?

you wont have problems if its got the old magnetic shield in it. LCD dont give out the interfernece so there a good choice. otherwise spend the extra £10 to get the pro version of the monitor.

Not necessarly the Monitor. There could be an electrical fault somewhere causing the interference.

granted, but i think you will find the offending monitor and telly have no form of magnetic shielding, can be confirmed by holding a magnet to the side of the telly/monitor (this is not a wise thing to do kids, might fubar the pic forever)

can be confirmed by holding a magnet to the side of the telly/monitor
True, not wise at all, but quite amusing for 5 minutes until you realise that huge purple splodge isn't going away :eek: :D

interesting this.. I have 2 monitors and a tv screen within a bout 6 feet of each other... no intereference that I can tell...

no purple splodges either :)

Go grab a strong magnet (huge ones off speaker cones do the job) and place it in the center of your monitor that should sort you .. splodge ahoy!!

note: NO-ONE DO THIS!!!! PLEASE! :D

Most of the interference comes from the monitor but any part of the PC can cause interference. There should be little FCC (USA) and EC (Europe) stickers every part in your PC. The stickers signify electromagnetic interference (EMI) compliance and there are different grade (home, commercial, industrial, medical, etc.) Some manufacturers (cheap generics) may not have tested and certified their equipment for low interference. Or they may be certified for industrial where things like TV's not have static are not important but then sold for home use.

My last monitor that had to be switched off if I was going to watch TV on channels 4 or 5. The new one I can't even tell if it's on. My TV is about 20 feet from the computer with 3 walls in between!

Cheap power supplies cna be another nasty source of TV interference. I also had problems with an old mother board back in my 550 mHz K6-2 days.

Not much you can do to fix it either. Once the EMI gets out of the box there's nothing much you can do to contain it. It will couple inot power lines, antennas speaker wires etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back