Problems with links in IE

M

mattike

I've been running XP Pro for a week now. My first install was over Win 2000, but I encountered several problems, so I wiped the drive and started clean. That fixed all of the problems except this most irritating one:

Seemingly without reason, IE will not follow some links. They can be XML links, HTML links, whatever. And it's only some links, not all. Some XML, HTML, VBscript, etc. links work just fine. And I'm not talking about links that may just be coded wrong, because there on big-name high traffic sites, and work fine with IE on Win 98 machines. When the link refuses to work, the IE window frame will flash inactive and then active again (like another window is opening and stealing focus), but then nothing happens. It's like I never clicked on anything to begin with.

I'm building a website right now, so of course this is frustrating. Anybody have any clues?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - I'm running behind a NAT firewall, but so are the other Win 98 machines that follow the links just fine.

If you are designing a website i assume that you will be designing it so it works on all browsers???

the biggest and best advice for any IE problem is to change browsers. As you are developing a website you should already have a copy of the big 5 browsers at which point this IE bug is not a major problem for you.

But perhaps you can try disabling the windows firewall if u haven't done so already seeing as you already have a NAT Firewall.

Mozilla 1.0 just came out so i recommend u get that if u haven't done the nice thing and designed ur webby to work for all browsers

Thanks for your reply, mbunny. I checked to see if I had Microsoft's firewall running, but I don't. So that didn't help. And I am designing for all browsers; that's why this problem is so perplexing. Opera and Mozilla work fine, as does IE on other machines. I'm not really worried about the other people accessing the site, as it seems that I'm the only one with this problem. More than anything, it just drives me nuts. This problem also affects Outlook Express, keeping me from opening any links embedded in email.

Slowly losing my mind......

Matt

:confused:

well

it could be your Browser, check what Browser Version you 98 Machines are using then check 2k machines, then tell me ok

O.k., here's the info on the browsers:

The problem browser is IE 6.0.2600
The Win 98 browser that works is version 5.50.4522.1800

I never had this problem in Win2000, but I also don't have Win2000 installed anywhere accessible, so I can't give you the version number on that.

Mozilla 1.0 works, as does Opera 6.03, Build 1107.

Thanks for your responses.

Matt

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back