Problems with Defrag

• Thread starter Novdor Traehenu
  • Start date
N

Novdor Traehenu

I'm not sure where to post this and I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong section of the forum...

About three months back, I tried defragging my c: with the windows defragger but it took so long, I gave up and clicked it off (at that time, I did not know defragging took hours).

A few of my files have been compressed but now the problem is, whenever I access disk cleanup, the thing freezes up at compressed old files and this is bugging me cause' my c: is left with 1.16GB and I NEED to clear those old crap.

Oh and besides, powerdefrag (the trial is finished), what other defrag programs would you recommend?

"Diskeeper Lite" the free version, is definitely better than the default XP version.
MSoft took the idea from that program anyway !

"Diskeeper Lite" the free version, is definitely better than the default XP version.

After all the hoopla I had to try Diskeeper. Diskeeper defrags, then while using your rig, XP moves files around for better performance. Without adding/changing anything, Diskeeper decides you have to defrag again, basically undoing XP's optimization. Diskeeper moves it, XP moves it, Diskeeper moves it again.

Maybe I'm just lucky but XP totally defrags my drive, why switch?

Diskeeper doesn't undo XP.

It puts all the fragmented segments together....

It actually checks the XP generated program optimisation list and defragments in that priority.

Just so you know... the defrag in Win 2k and XP are both DiskKeeper lite.

Umm... what about the first problem? What can I do about disk cleanup not being able to run?

Boot your pc into Safe mode by pressing F8 during boot up and defrag that way.

i would recommend rebooting into the recovery console with your xp cd and running chkdsk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back