Problems with a sound card

M

MultiPle3

A friend of mine has a sound card that stopped working recently. She says that Windows XP can't find any sound card. It had been working correctly and there were no changes to the system. I don't have a lot of information, but I was wondering if there were any generic solutions to this kind of problem. Thanks for your help.

so... it was working with xp and stopped all of a sudden? know what kind of sound card it is?

Windows XP automatically installed the driver for an Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller when she uninstalled the old driver. Somebosy else was helping her then, so i wasn't able to check to see if what the old driver was for.

I now know for a fact that the Intel card that I mentioned above is the same driver that she had before uninstalling the driver also. The computer is a laptop, could the sound card have come loose by being bumped. Or is it integrated with the mother board?

well, i'm sure it's built into the motherboard. does it show anything in device manager? any (!)'s or anything? any devices under "sound, video and game controllers"?

It shows an exclamation point and says "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)"

Foung this at another forum>

code 10 usually means the driver isn't installed. and the Crystal Wave sound chip should be noticed by W2K as the driver is integrated in the OS. It looks like you have a conflict somewhere else that is not allowing the Sound card to be detected.
You could try disabling Sound in Bios, rebooting, then turn sound back on in bios and see if automatically detects it, otherwise the drivers for the Sound card should be on the ILD CD or in the i386 folder.

You might get something out of it.

get to Device Manager > Problem device > propeties > driver > driver rollback or uninstall button. try to load the old driver and start over with new driver install...

Good Luck,
Larz

try going to the laptop manufacturer's website and get the latest xp sound drivers they have available.

Thanks for your help. I'll see her over thanksgiving break, and I'll try these suggestions myself. If you have any more ideas keep posting please. After thanksgiving I'll post my results. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back