Problems starting up Win2K

maolu

OSNN Newbie
Hi everyone.

My problem is:

- I start windows 2000
- login as any user
- the system launches explorer, i hear the typical "start up sound" and then nothing happens!!!

The only thing left to do is opening task manager, manually terminate the explorer process and re-launch it (run>explorer.exe)

How can i know what's the cause of this mess?!?!

· how long have you waited?
· did you install any new hardware lately?
· how much ram do you have?
· do you have an anti-virus program?
· is this your first install of Win2k? what did you upgrade from?

· how long have you waited?
once i left it that way 4 hours..... no response

· did you install any new hardware lately?
no new hardware since months ago

· how much ram do you have?
1GB

· do you have an anti-virus program?
sure.
i have McAfee VirusScan, i run it often (and almost everytime at startup since i have this problem) but no new viruses found...

· is this your first install of Win2k? what did you upgrade from?
i'm not sure i understood the question, but it's not the first time i install/reinstall win2K on this machine and not the first time at all in my life...:)
never had such a problem..

Thankyou for the answers....

if you relauch explorer shell do you get in? if you can, it might be a good idea to backup some important files, just incase. i'm no pro, but i hope you do get some help.

maybe try updating
· to SP4 if you havent.
· video card drivers
· windowsupdate.com

goodluck. it might just be a fluke and it'll start up clean eventually. its happened to me a few times on XP.

@dubstar: yes, i relaunch explorer from shell and i can get in, but of course all the startup application (like antivirus) are not loaded! I tryed all the updates you are suggesting...nothing done....

@muzikool: i used sfc /scannow and it asked me for windows installation cd. i feeded it, it loaded all and the finished the scan... After reboot the same story!! Explorer hangs on and i have to terminate it...

H_E_L_P_!
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Have you tested the programs scheduled to launch on startup. Maybe disable them all.

maolu said:
@dubstar: yes, i relaunch explorer from shell and i can get in, but of course all the startup application (like antivirus) are not loaded! I tryed all the updates you are suggesting...nothing done....

@muzikool: i used sfc /scannow and it asked me for windows installation cd. i feeded it, it loaded all and the finished the scan... After reboot the same story!! Explorer hangs on and i have to terminate it...

H_E_L_P_!
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

From my experience, if you ever need to use the sfc /scannow option, your system is in trouble.

Have you tried booting into safe mode? Can you get in? Then try Safe Mode with Networking.

If you can get in those ways, try disabling items from startup. My best advice to you, is if you can get in through Safe Mode, run HiJack This. I would assume you've got some nasty virii or spyware that is messing with your system.

Malware has successfully modified some shell files and some registry values.

pull the data off (you mentioned you can get explorer back up) reformat and reinstall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back